Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Front End Administrators Editing User Profiles

• bascherz
  • bascherz
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #322228 by bascherz
So, I've read a number of forum posts about allowing moderators to edit profiles via the front end. I have made that work, but I was asked to back it off, that not all moderators should be able to do that. CB configuration has 3 options for allowing this:
  • Moderators and Super Administrators Only
  • Administrators and Super Administrators Only
  • Super Administrators Only

The first one above is what I had to back off on. It's the second one I think I need. However, unlike moderators there is no back end profile option to specify which level of access constitutes an "Administrator".

In the typical (default) Joomla configuration, you get these levels defined:
Code:
Public – Guest – Manager ┊ – Administrator – Registered ┊ – Author ┊ ┊ – Editor ┊ ┊ ┊ – Publisher

I have renamed the Manager and Administrator levels in my groups as follows:
Code:
Public – Guest – Hidden – Registered ┊ – Author ┊ ┊ – Editor ┊ ┊ ┊ – Publisher ┊ – Regional Leader ┊ ┊ – Regional Director

Since I know (because Kyle told me) CB doesn't use the actual names for any group or level to determine such things, how do I know which level above is an "Administrator"?

Thanks!
Bruce

Bruce S - Vienna, VA
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 9 months ago #322233 by krileon
I do not recommend altering core ACL. Core ACL has a ton of inherited permissions. This means do not move Manager or Administrator around. You can opt to not use them and make new usergroups instead. In your case making a new parent usergroup of Registered would be the recommended approach. Example as follows.

Public
- Manager
| - Administrator
- Registered
| - Author
| | - Editor
| | | - Publisher

Now create a Joomla view access level that includes Moderator and Super Users. Next in CB > Configuration > Moderation select your new view access level in "Moderators View Access Level".

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• bascherz
  • bascherz
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #322236 by bascherz
Replied by bascherz on topic Front End Administrators Editing User Profiles
Does that mean the original values for Administrator and Super Administrator are set within Joomla? I think my Regional Director is just a renamed Administrator and Regional Leader is renamed Manager. But is that what we're talking about? The inherent values of these levels?

Bruce S - Vienna, VA
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by bascherz.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 9 months ago #322237 by krileon
Joomlas core ACL is setup initially with proper permission inheritance for those defined roles. When you move them, delete them, etc.. all of that inheritance is wiped out.

So lets say you want to have someone be a limited backend Administrator, which would be that core Administrator usergroup; you could assign that usergroup and be more or less done. If you deleted it or moved it you wiped its permission inheritance and will need to setup permissions for it entirely from the group up as a parent of Public will only inherit from Public initially.

For those reasons it's recommended not to move/delete core ACL, but to just make new ACL parented to them where needed unless you're prepared to setup permissions entirely.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• bascherz
  • bascherz
3 years 9 months ago #322241 by bascherz
Replied by bascherz on topic Front End Administrators Editing User Profiles
I didn't really do that (or I undid it). They are mostly just renamed.

I am trying to use the Admins and Supers option to allow that lower level of select users to edit profiles in front. It's telling me an Admin-level user can't edit the profile of a Registered-level user. Really? I've got all the inheritance and forced permissions setup right, so this is purely an inheritance thing I don't understand.

Bruce S - Vienna, VA

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 9 months ago #322245 by krileon
You can't edit a user that's on the same permissions level as you. This can happen if for example the user is Administrator AND Registered. In that case remove Registered. It works best using parenting as shown in my above reply as in my above reply they would only have Moderator and not Registered as they'd inherit Registered.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon