Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Gallery Search

• HCAA
  • HCAA
3 years 5 months ago #324847 by HCAA
CB Gallery Search was created by HCAA
Trying to implement Search within CB Gallery. It works, but the items returned are not all the items that should be. In other words, the search looks at portions of words in all the right Fields, but many records that contain the search term are not in the results list. It's as if some records are not "indexed" for the search. How can I fix that to get complete search results?

Related issue: there's no way to "clear" the search box or to return to the full Gallery presentation without deleting the search terms and searching on a blank box. If that's the only way for that to work, how can I provide a tooltip or embedded instructions to do that to get back to the full Gallery?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 5 months ago #324854 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Gallery Search

Trying to implement Search within CB Gallery. It works, but the items returned are not all the items that should be. In other words, the search looks at portions of words in all the right Fields, but many records that contain the search term are not in the results list. It's as if some records are not "indexed" for the search. How can I fix that to get complete search results?

CB Gallery doesn't use indexing. It directly searches in the database query. It will search media file name, title, description, and date. It's just using LIKE statements in the query with wildcards. You can't search "keyword1 keyword2" and expect it to split that into 2 different searches. It will just literally search for "keyword1 keyword2" as if it's 2 words next to each other.

Related issue: there's no way to "clear" the search box or to return to the full Gallery presentation without deleting the search terms and searching on a blank box. If that's the only way for that to work, how can I provide a tooltip or embedded instructions to do that to get back to the full Gallery?

Empty the search input and it should submit the form and clear it. Next CB Gallery release will be converting the search icon into a button and submit will happen on button click or pressing return. There's no functionality for adding a tooltip there nor should one really be needed as its search behavior is extremely common.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• HCAA
  • HCAA
3 years 5 months ago #324869 by HCAA
Replied by HCAA on topic CB Gallery Search
Thanks for the quick response. I understand what you're saying about the search process being similar to using "Like" in a SQL query. The problem is that not all results are being returned.

For example: one of our Members is named Barbara, and she has uploaded 38 images that are displayed in the Gallery and in her Profile. If I search on barbara, only one item is returned. If I search using the search term "barb" without quotes, there are additional items in the results but none from her profile. The other items include one with the word "barbeque" in the item description; another item has "Santa Barbara" in the title of the piece; another item has the word "Barber" in its title. No other items uploaded by Barbara show up in the results. That's why I asked about indexing since it appears that the search process is not looking at all the records.

Is there a database "maintenance" procedure I should deploy to ensure there isn't a corrupt table? Just guessing.

Thanks for your help. You can see the issue on our website at www.HCAAOnline.org in the Gallery or in the Artist Profiles.

• HCAA
  • HCAA
3 years 5 months ago #324870 by HCAA
Additional info:

A member is named "Jan". A search for her work yields just one image; however, anything with a date of January shows up in the results. We would like to exclude dates from search results. Is that possible?

A member is named "Mark", and, although "market" and "marker" show up in item descriptions of other artists, none of Mark's images are in the results.

Pressing <Enter> does work to initiate a search.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 5 months ago #324872 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Gallery Search
It does not search by the username of the user who uploaded. It searches on media file name, title, description, and SQL formatted date. There are no plans to allow searching on owner username as it slows the query to a crawl.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• HCAA
  • HCAA
3 years 5 months ago #324874 by HCAA
Thanks very much for clearing that up. That helps a lot.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon