Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Google Maps search does not complete triggered from Group Jive event

• yeatea
  • yeatea
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #325473 by yeatea
I have created an event for a Group Jive group, and added an address as a valid UK postcode.

On my local computer (running MAMP Pro 6 on iMac, PHP 7.4) I can enter the postcode, but do not get the button to access my location.
When viewing the event the postcode is highlighted and when clicked opens Google maps with the postcode entered into the Google maps search, the search is triggered and the location is found on the map.

However, on my live site (also PHP 7.4) I do get the option to set my location (but nothing happens), so I set the postcode location I want.
When viewing the event the postcode is highlighted and when clicked opens Google maps with the postcode entered into the Google maps search, BUT the search is not triggered. I have to manually click the icon to trigger the search, which successfully locates the postcode on the map.

The behaviour is the same on Safari or Firefox - test system works, live does not.

Is there some configuration I am missing?

CB 2.6
Group Jive 3.5
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 3 months ago #325474 by krileon
I can't help you in regards to what happens after you leave the site to Google unless they've newer URLs we should be using the following are all we have that we can use for location lookups.

If all you provide is a location it uses the following URL to perform a location search at Google.

Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/LOCATION_HERE

If you provide an address you need to provide a valid address as complete as possible (zip code only likely isn't good enough) and it will use the following URL.

Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/ADDRESS_HERE

As for a button to get your current location it only displays if you're viewing the site with HTTPS and only if the browser gives permission to use the location API. You should see a browser notification asking for permission and if not then you've likely configured your browser to reject all requests.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• yeatea
  • yeatea
3 years 3 months ago #325475 by yeatea
Thanks for your quick reply. You have identified the my location button issue, my local computer system is only http.

The action of Google maps to the address trigger is a bit hit and miss, some UK postcodes work fine, the one I originally tried did not on the live system - some text locations worked and some not - I guess it's a Google problem.

Thanks again for your help

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 3 months ago #325476 by krileon
Yeah, that's not much I can do about the accuracy of Google finding locations strictly from postcode. That's primarily why the inputs recommend providing a full address. The best way to do that is the following for example.

Address: 123 Food Lane, CA USA 90000

Location being the actual location (e.g. name of the business) with address being the physical address. Otherwise if on HTTPS and the browser gave location permissions then it'll plug in literally latitude and longitude for complete accuracy.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yeatea

• yeatea
  • yeatea
3 years 3 months ago #325478 by yeatea
Thanks for that. My tricky location was a country park car park, so I tried copying the full address from the Google maps sidebar and it worked fine - also tried the "plus code" and that worked as well.

Now we know!!

Thanks for all your help
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon