Skip to Content Skip to Menu

User Sign-up Connection Reset Error When Behind Reverse Proxy

2 years 8 months ago #328570 by chrisw0830
I just ran a sample with the error I'm getting. I've attached the last 50 entries from the proxy server logs as requested.

I was also wondering. Could this be the same issue that Joomla itself is having with Administrator approved registrations also failing? Meaning, are they using the same (or similar) code?

So you know I'm also asking on the Joomla forums to see if they can find something.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 8 months ago #328574 by krileon
Wondering if this is just an SSL problem. Are any other forms giving you issues (e.g. user edit save, login, create article, etc..)? Try setting "Force HTTPS" to "Entire Site" in Joomla global configuration. If already set to "Entire Site" try setting it to "None". If your proxy is handling the SSL this can be used to ensure Joomla only ever try's to redirect to HTTPS URLs.

Sorry, I don't have anything else further to suggest. Maybe the below topics can be of help.

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=827762

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=421266

serverfault.com/questions/1086165/joomla-redirects-wrong-after-post

serverfault.com/questions/648670/reverse-ssl-proxy-nginx-in-front-of-nginx-and-joomla

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 8 months ago #328577 by chrisw0830
I have SSL turned off right now specifically to avoid it while testing. Eventually I will do SSL proxying at the load balancer, but that's for a later step.

Interestingly, I am not having this issue with any other Community Builder function. Once I create the ID (which I can do by bypassing the proxy since I'm on the inside network - it's my home lab), I can then go back to using the proxy to post articles, upload videos and even self-modify the profile. All of it works perfectly. I even tested the self-authentication link both from inside and outside. It works with zero issues in both cases. The one thing I have not yet tested is the Admin Approval link. I'll do that next.

So it seems that it's only specifically submitting the login form itself that results in the error.

So the question I have is: What is the sign-up form doing, when it submits user info to create the account, that all of the other forms aren't? I think if we can answer that question, we can likely narrow down what the problem actually is.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 8 months ago #328584 by krileon

So the question I have is: What is the sign-up form doing, when it submits user info to create the account, that all of the other forms aren't? I think if we can answer that question, we can likely narrow down what the problem actually is.

For us it's just those 3 security checks explained earlier. My only guess is something is going on in Joomla user creation behavior that's causing this, but I've no idea what. It may not even having anything to do with Joomla and be entirely a server configuration problem somewhere, which is likely what the issue is given everything works fine without the proxy. Is there any errors in your server error log during the registration attempt?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 8 months ago #328592 by chrisw0830
I think I may have found something. Instead of looking at the Joomla error logs, I went to the Apache error log. I did a tail -f on it while reproducing the error and got this:

[Mon Feb 21 13:39:39.066959 2022] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 4270:tid 4312] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: [client 192.168.1.73:54100] AH01075: Error dispatching request to : (reading input brigade), referer: spikesocial.cawllc.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=registers&Itemid=113

I tried adding the following changes to Apache (note that I have php-fpm installed and running):

edit the file /etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/00-proxy_timeout.conf

and add the lines

Timeout 1200
ProxyTimeout 1200

Then restart php-fpm - if installed and httpd

After these changes were done, I'm still seeing the same error and the same message eventually appears on the Apache system log. It just takes longer to show up in the Apache logs (most likely because I increased the timeout). So I think something is happening where the request is getting killed, possibly inside of Joomla, because the user is never actually created. Then, I think Apache eventually gets the timeout error and drops the request on its end as well.

I'm trying to figure out how to get to the Joomla error logs. I have "Log Almost Everything" turned on, but I can't seem to get to any logs at all. I can't find an answer to where to find and read logs on the Joomla forums either. Since this is a locally installed server, there's no logging agent or Cpanel. If I can find the Joomla logs, I'm happy to parse through them.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 7 months ago #328608 by krileon
Joomla doesn't store any error logs. It just throws normal PHP exceptions which should log to your server error log. You need to check your servers PHP error log, which may not be configured or even enabled in php.ini. Looks like PHP is just stalling for some reason during use registration. Really strange being behind a reverse proxy would have any impact on registration at all. Are there any CB plugins installed or is this literally clean Joomla with just clean core CB installed?

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon