Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Unexpected loss of name fields

• kdave321
  • kdave321
2 years 1 month ago #330682 by kdave321
Unexpected loss of name fields was created by kdave321
We were trying to expose username, firstname, lastname only to Admins (Field Conditional Show in Profile Edit). Only the fullname (formatname) stays public.  The intent was these fields would be set at registration and could not be changed afterwards  by the user.
1) When username is required, the user can no longer save their profile without a "username missing" error. The username is still set and remains unchanged.
2) When any part of his profile is changed by the user and saved, his firstname and lastname are nullified. Firstname and Lastname are still required and no error is generated on save or subsequent saves (even with empty names)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 1 month ago #330683 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Unexpected loss of name fields
I'm guessing you're using conditions to do this? By default CB Conditional will reset a fields value to its empty state if the condition fails. To prevent this be sure to turn Reset to No (this parameter is at the bottom below your conditions). I suggest just setting those fields to Read Only if you do not want them to be changed. You can also use CB Privacy to limit field edit permissions to only moderators.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• kdave321
  • kdave321
2 years 1 month ago #330684 by kdave321
Replied by kdave321 on topic Unexpected loss of name fields
Ah ha. Yes, I had the Reset option set to "Same as Global", and I'm not sure where the global setting is.

Client wants to be able to edit it from the frontend (where she is accustomed to viewing members).

Ideally, we would like the field to be Read Only for users only, not admins.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 1 month ago #330685 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Unexpected loss of name fields
You can still edit from frontend using CB Privacy and its edit restrictions feature, but CB Conditional will work fine as long as it's only applying the condition to profile edit and Reset is set to No. The globals for CB Conditional are in its plugin settings.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon