Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Can we include Group members name's in category, group search?

• NFA
  • NFA
1 year 5 months ago #333620 by NFA
Hi,

An example of my problem:
John Smith heard that his idol Susan K. has a group on the famous website demo.cbdemosites.com , but does not know the name of that group. Search through the search box at demo.cbdemosites.com/community/groups/allgroups using search terms "Susan", "K." or "Susan K." returns 0 results. This while she is in no less than 18 groups, and "Susan K." shows up in all those groups under the Users tab.

Is there a way to make the names of group members also searchable via the default (category-->All Groups) search box? So that searching in that search box ( demo.cbdemosites.com/community/groups/allgroups ) returns all 18 groups where Susan K. is a member of?

Hope you can help, Noa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
1 year 5 months ago #333624 by krileon

Is there a way to make the names of group members also searchable via the default (category-->All Groups) search box? So that searching in that search box ( demo.cbdemosites.com/community/groups/allgroups ) returns all 18 groups where Susan K. is a member of?

No. There are no plans to do so either at this time. You can search users using a userlist and from their profile see all the groups they're in. Your alternative is to include the, in your example, idol's name in the group name or description as the search searches group name and description.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• NFA
  • NFA
1 year 5 months ago #333651 by NFA
Thanks, Kyle. I was already afraid of such an answer ;-) Two different types of search boxes is confusing for the average user of my websites. So I'm going for plan B. CB Auto Actions on afterGroupJoin and GroupLeave will add all group members names to the end of the group description content.

• krileon
  • krileon
1 year 5 months ago #333654 by krileon
You could use Joomla's search component. We provide a CB Search Bot for searching users and a CB GroupJive Search Bot for searching GJ groups. This does not work with Joomla's smart search though. You need to use the older search component, which is an optional install for Joomla 4. Then it's 1 search input for both.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• NFA
  • NFA
1 year 5 months ago #333657 by NFA
Thanks, I tried that already and indeed that searchbox finds everything.

However:
1. I want only groups in the search results. My website is very group oriented.
2. I want the results directly displayed in the nice grid/boxes layout of your category.php. (That layout is so awesome with the little canvas and avatar and some extra template tweaking ;-).

Have a nice weekend,
Noa

• krileon
  • krileon
1 year 5 months ago #333658 by krileon
Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you then at this time. There currently aren't any plans to search for groups by the users in those groups as it'd be far too heavy on the database to do that. Typically process would be to find the user then check what groups their in from there.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: NFA

Moderators: beatnantkrileon