Skip to Content Skip to Menu

User Profile layout issues

• mlangtry
  • mlangtry
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #333664 by mlangtry
User Profile layout issues was created by mlangtry
k, I've spent hours trying to get the users profile page to look like I want it and mostly just broken things, and have had to try one thing at a time then undo it..
I have looked at the Profile edit forum posts and have read the responses, and it still makes no sense to me.

Too many of the answers assume programmer level knowledge, or CB level skills that far exceed mine.

I just feel stupid.

I yearn for the WYSIWYG days of FrontPage where I could put stuff where I wanted it by dragging it there.

I have done some very basic html hand coding of pages (decades ago) for very simple things, but now, everything is waaaaay to interconnected with this module, this plugin, the template, the css, etc...etc,  with little or NO direct editing of components themselves, only the thing that references them.

At any rate, enough griping...
I have the CB "Default Template" in plugin management, for the "profile' set to the new "industrial?" and still I cannot seem to place anything where I want it, and now I'm just making it worse.

So here's a Pic of what I have, with explanation of what I want it to look like. 
I tried to put it in line, but that just translated to a butt load of text... sigh... second attempt with file attached.

1 (red on the pic). on the profile page that the user sees do not show the login or menu (I solved the menu placement- moved it to the navigations "section" buried in the menu module, CB section (sigh)...  and Stopped the Login 'module' from showing up on the profile page.   BUT the empty column is still there.
2. (green text at the top of the pic,) Change menu from vertical to horizontal...  for the life of me.....
3.(Blue Box on the pic) I want to call it the user album management section I'd like to move this below everything else.
4. (Pink Box) Move the users Photo with name to the top of the profile
5. (neon green box) Why is this here and can I get rid of it? or move the 'Tab" to be beside the other 'Tabs' (is it a tab? and why isn't it in the tabs section?)
6. (light brown box) this is the meat and potatoes of the users profile...This is the info that really matters. 
I have a tonne of fields in 5 tabs that we have users fill in (as much or as little as they like - only a few in each group 'or tab' are 'required')
I'd like this to span the width of the page, with two or more columns so that users are not scrolling for days (current single column layout)

Thanks all..
Be gentle, my brain already hurts.
Mike

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by mlangtry. Reason: bad pic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #333666 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic User Profile layout issues
We provide a full tab layout map. Edit Default template within CB > Tab Management. Then select the layout you want to modify (e.g. Profile) and you'll see a map at the bottom of where all the tab positions are. Consider tab positions just like module positions for a Joomla template. They simply hold all your tabs in a specific location.

Sounds like you selected the Intranet layout as there is no Industrial layout. Below is its tab position map. Simply edit your tabs in CB > Tab Management and assign them the positions shown on the map and they'll then display in those positions.

Below is what this looks like on our demo site.

Alternatively if you want to completely customize your profile layout using HTML to basically make your own tab layout you can. Set the layout to Custom. Now you can work exclusively with HTML to create your own tab positions using substitutions. An explanation for the special substitutions for rendering tab content is provided with the Custom usage.

Based off your needs though I don't think a custom layout will be necessary as your required layout should fit within one of the defaults fine you just need to move your tabs to the appropriate positions based off the layout map in CB > Tab Management. You can reset your layout back to default canvas layout with the tool in CB > Tools to revert your tabs being moved around if you like as well so you can start over.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon