Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CBSubs: what happen when subscription ends

• jabba84
  • jabba84
11 months 3 weeks ago #335578 by jabba84
Hello, sorry to bother you.but i'm trying to build my community website in the best possible way and i need some tips.
I woul like  the registration and the lifespan of a subscription to work like this, let me know if it's possible.
  • For the first registration the user need to buy a subscription, there is no way to register without paying the first time (and this is done, i can prevent login when the plan is not active)
  • I need the admin approval before the payment (and this is done too)
  • When the admin approve the user he can login and continue the payment process (done)
  • The subscription always end the 31th december of the current year (done)
  • 1 month before the expiration i send a reminder email (done with "mailer")
  • I don't want to kick out ppl when subscription expires so i've set a grace period of 10 years (done)

• 1 month after expiration i want a mail that reminds the user to renew the subscription (done)
Here comes the questions.
  1. What happen to the subscription in the grace period? The subscription is considered "active" or "expired"?
  2. I've setup the "1 month late" mailer like this:

Is this correct? Will it send the mail even if the user is actually in the "grace" period?
  3. If the subscription is considered "expired" the user can still login in the grace period?
  4. Can i setup the joomla's registered menu to show only if the subscription is active? I mean: the subscription expired but the user is in the "grace" period, can he login but not see some joomla's menu until he renews the subscription?
  5. If the user's subscription is expired (but user is still present in the system) will he be listed in the classic "list of users" of CB?
I mean: i would like in the list all the users that are "registered" both the ones with active subscription and the ones with expired subscription. The difference is that the ones with expired subscription (but still in the grace period) can't modify the profile and see other joomla's menu.

Sorry for the long post, hope it's kinda clear.

THANK YOU!

WebMaster & JoomlaLover @ www.pixed.it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
11 months 3 weeks ago #335600 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CBSubs: what happen when subscription ends

What happen to the subscription in the grace period? The subscription is considered "active" or "expired"?

It remains active and won't truly expire until the grace period ends.

I've setup the "1 month late" mailer like this:

Grace period doesn't touch the expiration date so conditioning off that is fine. However the "Must be in state" will fail. That should be set to "Active" or ideally just leave it as "Not relevant".

If the subscription is considered "expired" the user can still login in the grace period?

The subscription will be considered active until the end of the grace period so yes they can login.

Can i setup the joomla's registered menu to show only if the subscription is active? I mean: the subscription expired but the user is in the "grace" period, can he login but not see some joomla's menu until he renews the subscription?

There's no way to condition content based off the user being in a grace period or not. They're basically either active or they're not and during grace period they're active.

If the user's subscription is expired (but user is still present in the system) will he be listed in the classic "list of users" of CB?

Yes unless their account has been blocked in which case you need to configure your userlist to show blocked users.

The difference is that the ones with expired subscription (but still in the grace period) can't modify the profile and see other joomla's menu.

Then I'm not sure why you're setting this all up this way. You're effectively just allowing free users without an active subscription, but in a more complicated way. I would configure the following personally.

CBSubs > Settings > Global
Show subscription plans at registration: Yes
Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions): Yes
Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans: Yes

CBSubs > Plans > PLAN > Presentation
Exclusive plan: Exclusive

CBSubs > Plans > PLAN > Workflows
Selected by default: Yes
Allow registration: Yes

Now the plan is exclusive, meaning mandatory, meaning required. So they have to select that plan during registration. It will also be pre-selected.

Next configure it's duration as normally and get rid of the 10 year grace period. When they expire they will lose access to everything that plan gives access to. So you'll want to restrict your menu items, modules, articles, fields, tabs, etc.. heavily with that plan. When they expire they basically can login and that's more or less it.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• jabba84
  • jabba84
11 months 3 weeks ago #335603 by jabba84
Replied by jabba84 on topic CBSubs: what happen when subscription ends

Yes unless their account has been blocked in which case you need to configure your userlist to show blocked users.

Ahhh that is the key! I assumed that when the subscription expires then the account is automatically blocked and removed form the list.
This community workflow is a bit unusual but not complicated:
  • For first registration user need to subscripe and pay
  • on 31th of december the subscription expires
  • from 1st january of the next year i still want that user on the list, but i don't want him to update his profile nor click some specific menu items (it's ok if he can't login at all). It's also ok if he can login and recevie a popup or a warning saying "you did not pay for this year and you can't update your profile!"
  • from 1st january he need to receive 1 mail per month saying "your subscription ended on 31th december", and the mail stops after 1 year or if he renew his subscription
If the user pays for year 2023 and never pay again i need him to be in the list of the registered users indefinetly but i don't want him to update the profile and click some menu (or event login).
So if I do what you suggest i guess this is all achievable, right?

• krileon
  • krileon
11 months 3 weeks ago #335609 by krileon
With my above suggestion when they expire their subscription will actually expire. No need for 10 years of grace periods. This means you can take away permissions as needed only allowing them limited access on your site. As for your userlist yes you'll be able to have a userlist that shows active subscribers, expired subscriptions, or both as needed since the Advanced filter lets you directly add to the userlist SQL to filter it however you want. Their account won't be disabled with my above configuration instructions. Only their subscription would be expired.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• jabba84
  • jabba84
11 months 2 weeks ago #335710 by jabba84
Replied by jabba84 on topic CBSubs: what happen when subscription ends
Hi again, sorry but maybe there is something i'm missing here.
I've made a test with your suggestion, buyed a subscription (and everything is fine, i can edit my profile and so on).
I then deleted my subscription:

The problem is that i still can edit the profile or click on menu links.
About the profile edit i'm trying to solving with the plugin "CBSubs field Tabs Protect" with this configuration:

But this hides for owner (and i'ts ok) and for viewer in frontend. I need that the owner can NOT edit his details but a guest of the website can see all the fields.
Plus: is there a way to hide a joomla menu item based on an active subscription?

Or i do need to use Joomla ACL? Like normal registered with all the users and create a "paying user" access level and the subscription automatically move the users from the two groups?

• krileon
  • krileon
11 months 2 weeks ago #335719 by krileon
Use the below to restrict the profile edit of a tab by the profile owners subscription.

A. Tab availability by Owner's Subscriptions: Yes, CB subs control detailed tab access
Owner Plans controlling tab available in profile: (empty)
Still Available for Profile Owner himself: No: profile owner himself is also restricted
Owner plans controlling tab editable (none means not controlled): SELECT_PLAN_HERE

Now if you also want to make it so they can't see a tab on users profiles based off the viewing users subscription also configure the below.

B. Tab visibility by Viewer's Subscriptions: Yes, viewer's CB subs control detailed visibility
Viewer Plans controlling tab visibility by viewer (none means not controlled): SELECT_PLAN_HERE
Still Viewable for Profile Owner himself: No: profile owner himself is also restricted
Still Viewable for Moderators: Yes: moderators can still view tab

I believe that should give you the desired result.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon