Skip to Content Skip to Menu

installed uddeIM1.5, chinese not probably display

15 years 9 months ago #83556 by crassus168
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie here, i got a question about chinese character display.
my joomla is 1.5.8
php 5.2.8
apache 2.210
mysql 5.067

i have other component working with chinese without problem, just this one uddeIM 1.5, after i installed it, i can set the uddeim layout to chinese character, however, when i try to send message, the chinese character in the content and subject changed to question mark, i have already set the charact set to UTF-8 in the udde config. and in the config/about page, i saw the i'm still using the language.utf-8/english.php, is it correct? anyway, i tried to send message in chinese in this CB site, it seems no problem for it. what things i need to make sure for it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
15 years 9 months ago #83557 by slabbi
Maybe your DB does not accept UTF-8 characters. Please try following: In the settings there is a switch to enable message obfuscating. Set this switch to "base64" or "obfuscate".

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

15 years 9 months ago #83558 by crassus168
thanks! slabbi,
thanks for your fast reply,
by the way, my db should be no problem to support UTF-8, as other components can support it without problems, i checked the db collabration, i saw that the uddeim database is installed with charact set latin1 and collation latin1_swedish_ci by default, for other components work with chinese, the db is utf8-general-ci
anyway, for your suggestion, where can i find the settings to enable message obfuscating?

as i guess, is it related to the installation? how do the udde installation to detect my database default charset and language settings?
Post edited by: crassus168, at: 2008/12/28 13:23

Post edited by: crassus168, at: 2008/12/28 13:26

15 years 9 months ago #83734 by crassus168
i finally figured out what is the problem,
it is totally mysql problem, by default, mysql backup will export .sql in "ansi as utf8", thats mean mysql backup will export latin1 in default no matter you have already set your server to utf8. so, if you restore that "ansi as utf8" table into the database, and then you install new component to the table, all the newly install tables will become latin1 and collation latin_swedish_ci, no matter you change it to utf8, the chinese data inside will not properly display.
i fixed the problem as follow:
using mysql administrator to backup the database, and then use notepad++ to open it, you will see that the encoding is "ansi as utf8", change the format to "utf8 only" and then save, after so, restore it back by my sql administrator with default settings, then it should be no problem anymore, newly added component (tables) are utf8 now.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
15 years 9 months ago #83747 by slabbi
Thanks for the feedback.

I will add this info to the FAQ since I am sure other users may have the same problem.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon