Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Parse err...showinbox.php...line 1 - issue & fix

• synthesis
  • synthesis
15 years 5 months ago #96554 by synthesis
I was tweaking some css (and php where necessary) to bring some continuity to my mix of Joomla, CB, Kunena & uddeIM when I ran into an issue...specifically when trying to make any modifications to the pms.showinbox.php. There are some css classes called out in here which can make the inbox tab look pretty awful (and not fit in with the site). Every time I adjusted the code and uploaded to my server, I would get something like the following error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $end in /.../components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_pmsuddeiminbox/pms.showinbox.php on line 1

Tried simply opening the file and saving it then uploading, still produced the same error. Tried uploading the original file from the zip, same error.

Needless to say I was getting rather frustrated. Every time I had this issue, I had to uninstall the CB inbox plugin, then reinstall and all was fine...until I tried to modify it again.

Not being one to give in easily, I decided to try extracting the original file from the zip locally, editing it, then dragging it back into the install zip. In the admin backend, I uninstalled the CB inbox plugin, then immediately installed it again with my revised zip package....oddly enough, all of my changes to the php file worked and without error. Seems like it only likes the file as it's installed, any changes and it produces the error. But by making the changes before installation, it seems to work.

Can't explain exactly why it works, but it does...:woohoo:

Just thought this info might help someone out.

Regards,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
15 years 5 months ago #97531 by slabbi
Maybe your editor has changed the nl/cr's. E.g. Windows server do not like unix files with lines ending with a simple nl.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

• synthesis
  • synthesis
15 years 5 months ago #98081 by synthesis
I can't say for sure, but I've been using the same editor on all other php, xml and css tweaked thus far. I've encountered no issues with any of those files to date.

Post edited by: synthesis, at: 2009/05/08 14:11

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon