Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Tip: Registration form on a light external page

• OldLodgeSkins
  • OldLodgeSkins
  • Add-ons
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #189983 by OldLodgeSkins
Hi,

I've been looking for a way to include the registration form on an external page, because I needed a very light squeeze page that would look like an opt-in page and load fast, and Joomla with all its scripts is too heavy for that kind of use.

Finally, instead of including CB's registration form on an external page (which proved to be impossible), I've found an other solution that does use Joomla but in a much "lighter" way. So here is how to do:

1) Try loading the registration page in the Atomic template (by adding ?template=atomic at the end of the URL). You'll notice all the graphics are gone but the page should still be around 600 / 700kb. Which is way too much if you want your squeeze page to load in a rotator for example, where people stay for only a few seconds.

2) Edit the atomic template's index.php file to remove the call to all the Joomla scripts. It's a jdoc:include call located somewhere at the top of the file.

3) Reload the page and notice its weight now: around 20kb!!

4) And the great thing is, CB's registration form still works - for the most part. I had to copy some of its original CSS for the form to look right but that's about it, except for that the accounts are created normally and the visitor's brought to the normal - as in normal template - confirmation page.

5) Somewhere in the middle of that index.php file you will find this:

<jdoc:include type="component" />

This is where the form is actually outputted. Build your squeeze page around that.

6) Your squeeze page then is: component/comprofiler/registers?template=atomic
Mine now weights about 59kb including two pictures.

For reference, I'm using Joomla's core SEF, J 1.7.3, CB 1.7.1.

I've spent two days researching a solution but I think it was worth it!

I hope it helps other people, and at least I've now made my little contribution to that great piece of software that CB is ;)

Seb.

PS: I don't want to look like I'm trying to grab traffic for my squeeze page so I didn't include the link to my example in that post. If it's ok to show it, let me know.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by OldLodgeSkins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 8 months ago #189985 by nant

• OldLodgeSkins
  • OldLodgeSkins
  • Add-ons
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #189986 by OldLodgeSkins
Replied by OldLodgeSkins on topic Re: Tip: Registration form on a light external page
You're welcome.

I'd bet your life would be easier if everybody was bringing his solution with his problem ;) - but in this case I've just been lucky to get the right idea.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by OldLodgeSkins.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon