Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Suggested Migration of CBSub from 2.x to 3.x

• AlexRag
  • AlexRag
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #280327 by AlexRag
I am looking at upgrading an existing Joomla 2.x site to 3.x and believe the best way to do this is to migrate rather try to upgrade.

My biggest concern is figuring out the easiest way to migrate the users and their CBSubs status/plans/history.

Other than using CBJuice to import users, I am not sure of any other tools available to help.

Am I potentially looking at rolling up my sleeves and digging into the database files?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by beat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
8 years 6 months ago #280334 by nant

AlexRag wrote: I am looking at upgrading an existing Joomla 2.x site to 3.x and believe the best way to do this is to migrate rather try to upgrade.

My biggest concern is figuring out the easiest way to migrate the users and their CBSubs status/plans/history.

Other than using CBJuice to import users, I am not sure of any other tools available to help.

Am I potentially looking at rolling up my sleeves and digging into the database files?

Not sure why you believe best way is to "migrate".

Joomla 2.x to 3.x should be much easier to do using the joomla upgrade process.

I would first backup and clone.
Upgrade to latest CB/CBSubs/Other CB Add-ons you have on your J25 site.
and then do the joomla upgrade.
Test everything on the cloned site and if things seem ok, then repeat the process on libe site.

• AlexRag
  • AlexRag
8 years 6 months ago #280361 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Suggested Migration of CBSub from 2.x to 3.x
Hi Nick,

I've had unpleasant experiences in the past doing the seemingly simpler upgrading, but found I spent more time dealing with outdated or incompatible extensions causing issues (not yours, of course ;)) I feel a fresh start would be a better approach. That being said, I would certainly try the upgrade path first.

I just wanted to be prepared for the alternative which is to migrate in case things don't go well. My only real concern is keeping/rebuilding the user account/CB Subs part. Most everything else in the site can be rebuild from scratch. At this point, I don't know if this path is much more complex.

Thanks,
Alex

• AlexRag
  • AlexRag
7 years 10 months ago #288556 by AlexRag
After making several failed attempts to upgrade from 2.528 to 3.5x using Joomla Update I've decided the best approach is a fresh install.

So this brings me to looking at how to migrate the user data and CBSubs data from one site to another. If I recreate all the configuration settings (like CB subs plans) is it possible to deal with the migration by just updating the tables in the database or are there other steps that I should be looking at?

My main concern is to rebuild the CB/CBsubs data. Everything else in the site can be rebuilt manually.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 10 months ago #288590 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Suggested Migration of CBSub from 2.x to 3.x
The main concern for CB and CBSubs data moves is ensuring IDs match. If you move all of CB and CBSubs tables then things like plan id, basket id, etc.. will all match. The next major concern in that case would be User ID. Those absolutely need to match or all relations with a user are lost (data, subscriptions, etc..). Users you should be able to export/import easily with CB Juice or directly moving the relevant Joomla tables.

CB and CBSubs configurations are database based so they'll all move when you move the table data.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• AlexRag
  • AlexRag
7 years 10 months ago #288596 by AlexRag
In the case of a fresh install, would I be better off not making any config changes (like plans, plugins, etc) in the backend and then just copy over all the CB tables?

Thanks for the tip about the user id's. I think moving the user tables might be be a safer solution. I guess I would need to make sure I copied over all the correct tables..

I better brush up on my MySQL skills. Might be an interesting ride.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon