Skip to Content Skip to Menu

change alias to username impossible

• activha
  • activha
7 years 10 months ago #288320 by activha
change alias to username impossible was created by activha
Hello

We just tested the alias feature which seems great !
However, after changing the alias to another value than the username, it seems impossible to change it again to the user username. The ajax validation forbids it as username is already existing.
Could you add a check in next nightly so that a user could always revert its alias to its own username ?

Thanks
Jean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 10 months ago #288322 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic change alias to username impossible
To go back to username just empty the field.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• activha
  • activha
7 years 10 months ago #288326 by activha
Replied by activha on topic change alias to username impossible
this is not a good behavior as :
- we need to explain users to empty the field, they won't do it by themselves
- we will use the alias field to manage user subdomain

In this case could the field revert by js to username if it is empty while editing the profile so that it does not stay empty in the DB ?

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 10 months ago #288328 by krileon
If it's empty then it uses the alias generated dynamically (e.g. username or userid-username). It has built in security specifically and intentionally to prevent it from being set to an existing username or alias. That security is not being changed or an exception made; it's intentionally strict to avoid risk of profile url hijacking. There are no plans to change this behavior, sorry.

I recommend setting the placeholder to [username] and when it's empty it'll show their username as the placeholder text. The placeholder can be set by editing the field then under Parameters > Display adjust "Placeholder Value" as needed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• activha
  • activha
7 years 10 months ago #288330 by activha
Replied by activha on topic change alias to username impossible

krileon wrote: I recommend setting the placeholder to [username] and when it's empty it'll show their username as the placeholder text. The placeholder can be set by editing the field then under Parameters > Display adjust "Placeholder Value" as needed.

Very good idea but will the place holder be registered as a real value if the user does not change it ?

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 10 months ago #288335 by krileon
No, the placeholder is the placeholder attribute of the text input. It'll display if no value is supplied, but nothing is stored. Nothing needs to be stored when it's generating the dynamic alias.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon