Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Dual licensing

• Qefx
  • Qefx
17 years 6 months ago #35237 by Qefx
Replied by Qefx on topic Re:Dual licensing
Oh forget ^^

if you want a dual licence for example like Qt from trolltech. You have to own the the right to the whole source code.

So this is why most famous products like php have an own licence ;) To allow none GPL products ;) But if you take a GPL plug in modifie it. Is now allowed to dual licence ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Qefx
  • Qefx
17 years 6 months ago #35260 by Qefx
Replied by Qefx on topic Re:Dual licensing
Hello,

i crawled through the web. And find information about the copyright prints in software ;)

This information is based on a email from the free software foundation.

It is allowed to remove the copyright hints.

But it now allowed to remove the copyright hints if there are to infomrations: That this software is under the GPLc and and a link to the licence and the copyright sign with authors full name.

For example:

in the print out when you run a php-script. it puts out:

copyright by: Mr. Smith and the link: www.linktosite.com.eu

is allowed to remove cause it is not GPLc conform.

But this output is not allowed to remove:

This software is free software. Under the GPLc (link)
Copyright by: Person name

Happy changeing ;)

But some note to consider...

Just ask you the qestion: Why is PHP, Joomla, Linux and apache so famous?
And why they get money? And could keep up there work?

No one will use this software if there are 4 notes on copyright on every site. With your software they are 5.... and if you use a firewall for apache. We count 6. And if you use a pear. We are on 7. And if you use a network driver from opensource we are on 8. And if you use mainboard we are on 9. And with a php cache On 10... and so on and son.....

no one will ever use free software. Well, this means everyone will and have to buy software. But when i ask me the question if i pay the same price for windows software or a little bit more. Why the hell should i use Linux?

That nearly supports some server features. But software? IDEs? Design software?

We will have the same problems as now: A Windows monopole...

And crowing software prices from them...
And patent steals by MS ( As far as i know they lost 3 or 4 patents "wars" ... But hey? Who cares? Stealing software is normal from MS ;)

Post edited by: Qefx, at: 2007/04/07 14:53

• Stiggi
  • Stiggi
17 years 6 months ago #35261 by Stiggi
Replied by Stiggi on topic Re:Dual licensing
thats right - a GPL (2c) compliant copyright notice cannot be removed without violate the law.

IMO this is the only possibility to get some money. People dont want to donate a buck - they want "free of charge" software. So they can get it WITH visible copyright notice. If they want to get a version without visible copyright notice - they have to pay some money for it.

• montana
  • montana
17 years 6 months ago #35262 by montana
Replied by montana on topic Re:Dual licensing

As a hobby none commercial user I can say that 50$ would be too much for me. 30$ sounds right and I think you will get much more money making the component even a bit cheaper - my suggestion would be 20 $.

I agree 100%

it`s a compenent and a website need many components and modules..

For example 20 Mod+Comp. x 50,- Euro = 1000 Euro payin for components? Fair price is 10-15

I bought Flashchat for 5 Dollar

Post edited by: montana, at: 2007/04/07 18:00

• p9939068
  • p9939068
17 years 6 months ago #35269 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:Dual licensing
I think the software author should be the best and fairest judge of the software's worth, period.

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

• mikko
  • mikko
17 years 6 months ago #35356 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Dual licensing
p9939068 wrote:

I think the software author should be the best and fairest judge of the software's worth, period.

I agree 100%.

First, about GPL: you can charge as much as you want to for the software but you need to make the source accessible for those that purchased the software. This is not a problem with php, since most servers don't run compiled php anyway.

The trick is that you give the right to redistribute the software. If you charge a high price, someone always sees a business opportunity for selling it at half the price. And finally someone decides to give it away. This is natural, since they do not have to pay the cost of development.

What comes to my plugin: I decided to price it at 35€. The reasons are:
-This is quite complex piece of code and it would be almost an insult towards my work to say that it is worth 5€.
-If user types, access control or profile layout customization are only worth 5€ for you, you probably should not be setting it up anyway since it is not important to you and takes some time to get it working.
-With 5€ per copy, the revenue does not cover the cost of giving support to users.

To summarize: If you think that that APC is worth 5€ I do not even want you to use it.

mikko

Moderators: beatnantkrileon