Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Dual licensing

• p9939068
  • p9939068
17 years 7 months ago #33304 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:Dual licensing
One other thing, which may be a little off topic: Avoid US$, as it is slumping, with no signs of rebounding. It is better to deal in Euros, which is far more stable at the moment.

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stiggi
  • Stiggi
17 years 7 months ago #33320 by Stiggi
Replied by Stiggi on topic Re:Dual licensing
ok, my 2 cents here:

www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLModuleLicense

If I add a module to a GPL-covered program, do I have to use the GPL as the license for my module?

The GPL says that the whole combined program has to be released under the GPL. So your module has to be available for use under the GPL.

But you can give additional permission for the use of your code. You can, if you wish, release your program under a license which is more lax than the GPL but compatible with the GPL. The license list page gives a partial list of GPL-compatible licenses.

IMO every Joomla! component should be GPLed (or compatible). I am no lawyer, but this question could be answered by asking the GNU people directly. This was done by someone regarding PHPnuke . But PHPnuke is not a module or addon or plugin. Its a standalone application and F.Burzi holds all copyright and can release his work under whatever license he wants.

The only way is what F.Burzi does. You can add the copyright notice (its not allowed to remove this) and let people buy a version without copyright notice, but this version should also be GPLed (or compatible) - so everybody is able to modify this version and release it for free.

I use GPL for my plugins, as you know. If people use one of my plugins I hope they are gentleman enough and donate some money or send my son a book from my Amazon wishlist - ok, only a few still did that, the others will burn in hell ;)

• Stiggi
  • Stiggi
17 years 7 months ago #33321 by Stiggi
better:

www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

If a program released under the GPL uses plug-ins, what are the requirements for the licenses of a plug-in.

It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate programs, so the license for the main program makes no requirements for them.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the plug-ins. This means the plug-ins must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication between them is limited to invoking the `main' function of the plug-in with some options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline case.

Post edited by: Stiggi, at: 2007/03/13 11:54

• imhoteph
  • imhoteph
17 years 7 months ago #33324 by imhoteph
Replied by imhoteph on topic Re:Dual licensing
I think it's ok to take money for good work - especially if someone makes money with your work.
You can be shure that I will buy your upcoming release (what I read gives me some anticipation B) )

Greetz

• p9939068
  • p9939068
17 years 7 months ago #33327 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:Dual licensing
Since we're on the topic of GPL, let me share a bit of my views on it. 2 words: Horse S**t :blush:

Lots of people have come up with the argument that if you build on something that is already free, it should be free, or similar to being a free software.

Lets put this argument somewhere else:
An architect designs and builds homes for people. Because he is building on planet earth, which is essentially free (either from God or from planetary evolution, depending on your beliefs), his buildings should be free (especially if he's building residential buildings, where people live in, and do not make money off, it)

So here we have a good example whereby the time, effort and ingenuity put in by the architect to bring about the completion of a beautiful piece of building is being ignored altogether just because God decided to create earth for free.

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

• Stiggi
  • Stiggi
17 years 7 months ago #33328 by Stiggi
but god didnt GPLed the earth - maybe he LGPLed it ;)

If you want to write a plugin for a GPL software then you have to respect the GPL or look for a non GPL software where you can write a plugin for (or violate the license agreement).

However, you still can make money with GPL software.

--quote--
Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?
Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)

Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my site?
Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide "equivalent access" to download the source--therefore, the fee to download source may not be greater than the fee to download the binary.

Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must pay me a fee and/or notify me?
No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free. See the definition of free software.

The GPL is a free software license, and therefore it permits people to use and even redistribute the software without being required to pay anyone a fee for doing so.

If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
--/quote--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon