Skip to Content Skip to Menu

YANC - Registered Newsletters - and moderation

• crash777
  • crash777
18 years 6 months ago #8816 by crash777
I would be THRILLED TO TEARS if CB encompassed another newsletter.. The robustness of Yanc is lacking a bit and I often find myself on the receiving end of server errors and partially sent newsletters...
I would gladly encompass another component.. any recommendations? At this point, I would be happy to disable the built in features and just go with another one....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Manoxtra
  • Manoxtra
18 years 6 months ago #9000 by Manoxtra
I always used Mamml, now called ANJEL, but since the upgrades of Joomla! to 1.08 it stopped working correctly, otherwise its a very good system. In my opinion it has better frontend workflow and usermanaagement in the backend. Its originally based on Yanc btw.
In next release it will also support CB, developer.joomla.org/sf/sfmain/do/viewProject/projects.anjel

Maybe someone should contact the developer?

:)

• crash777
  • crash777
18 years 6 months ago #9004 by crash777
Hmmm.. I send out a newsletter to subscribers two or three times per week. I need to be able to log unsubscribers (not just have them seemlessly be removed - this is necessary so I don't accidentally place them on the newsletter again as I do manually subscribe individuals, with permission of course, from time to time). I also do not need a heavy front end. The way I am using YANC now is just as a built in to CB. There are no links to it on my site. Instead I have populated the same/similar information into a category that users can see. Anyway, so my needs are really almost completely on the backend...
It would be great if it worked with Joomla and CB but....

• kenlyle
  • kenlyle
18 years 6 months ago #10227 by kenlyle
This appears to have been a longstanding weakness of Mambo/Joomla. I had Phil Taylor's mosListMessenger 2.0, but went with
DadaMail because I wanted double opt-in and message archiving.

Now that I've switched servers and Dada is broken, I am looking again.

It looks like 2.06 of mosLM has the features I was and am looking for, plus some additional, like scheduled mailings, which may be a way to simulate a sequential autoresponder.

One positive of mosLM is that it is developed around ListMessenger Pro, so there are at least two developers, Matt (I think) and Phil.

We definitely all need something that is supported and works.

I am open to any feedback.

Thanks,
Ken

• beat
  • beat
18 years 6 months ago #10244 by beat
I'm planing to do some much needed work on YaNC in cooperation with Adam, once CB 1.0 stable is out, among other things...stay tuned.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• shadmego
  • shadmego
18 years 1 day ago #22928 by shadmego
I don’t know about anyone else, but it seems to me there is a lack of support for newletter integration in Joomla!/CB sites. That might sound harsh, because there are plug-ins out there like YaNC and others, but they don’t allow for the creation of “discussion” groups. I need something that will allow all subscribers to email the list. Mailman and Dada Mail (with a plug-in) are the only two programs I know of that are like this and I can’t find anything that will integrate them into Joomla!/CB built sites.

I like the subscribemailman plugin, but currently, it only supports one Mailman list, and only works in the background upon administrator approval of new users. I have extended this to include two Mailman lists, but I’m still waiting for the author to allow the “release” of it to the community. That said, I still don’t think this goes far enough. Here is what I think would be of great benefit:

A plug-in for CB that supports third party newsletter programs like Dada Mail and/or Mailman. I’m not sure it would be possible to create one plug-in for both.

The plug-in would work like this:
  • Newsletter sign up fields would be placed in the registration page for new users
  • This would allow them to see at a glance what email/newsletter groups are available to sign up for
  • Upon registration, the plug-in will take the newsletter options and format the subscriptions for the specified program (Mailman or Dada Mail), subscribing them to the lists chosen during registration
  • In the User Profile Page it would be nice to add the ability to manage individual subscriptions (subscribe/unsubscribe) with a link to the actual program interface to change other options like digest options or email addresses
  • Back end management only needs to be able to set up the integration to the list, and be able to place the sign up options into the registration page. This can include specifying the number of lists, what program is being used (Mailman or Dada Mail), or any other various admin tasks that might be useful.

Is this possible? Remember, I’m not a coder, so doing something like this for me would take a lifetime. I suppose it wouldn’t be necessary if there was a newsletter plug-in that allowed for discussion mail list groups and the ability to format custom HTML message templates (like Dada Mail), but I’ve been looking and I can’t find anything like that.

Any ideas on this, or is this just too much work for the amount of attention it would receive from the community?

~Kindest Regards
Shadmego

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything!"

Moderators: beatnantkrileon