Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Customizing CSS & Styling of CB Login Module

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 1 month ago #176470 by krileon

This is a 'forum'. We are lucky to have it hosted and managed so professionally, for free yet. Don't knock it. The folks who run this (Nick and others) can't spend every waking hour answering free-users' questions. They have to eat and just maybe in some cases even feed a family from their work.

Greatly appreciated your kind words and understanding. The team (Beat, Nick, and I) all are full-time for CB and absolutely do have families to feed. The forums can be quite overwhelming at times and are filled with thousands of posts, which unfortunately means we must prioritize those who have chosen to support us financially. We'd love to be able to help every user, but due to time limitations it's just not a possibility so we've offered the free forums in hopes paid users and free users alike could help one another with issues they may have.

I happen to have a similar need to customize certain pages (e.g. registration page, lost password page). Though I'm fairly sharp at CSS, my question is more around how to target the pages I want to customize without making changes to core CB files (such as changing the CB files CSS) which are likely to get written over during an upgrade.

I recommend adding any of your CSS changes to the bottom of your Joomla template CSS file to ensure your changes are preserved when you upgrade CB. Another good option is to create a new CB template and alter that template avoiding changes to the default. Attached is a duplicate of the "Default" template (PHP file included) that you can install and edit freely and changes won't be lost with upgrade. Please note the file is for CB 1.7.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joomzoom1
  • joomzoom1
13 years 1 month ago #176475 by joomzoom1
Replied by joomzoom1 on topic Re: Customizing CSS & Styling of CB Login Module
Thanks so much krileon. I will try what you suggest.

I'm guessing at this point that some of the changes I'm trying to make on the registration and forgotten password (redirect) pages can't easily (if at all) be done by altering/adding to my Joomla template CSS. For example, one of the things I need to change on just the registration and forgotten password pages is the background image for div #ja-mainbody.

I'm guessing I have to go the route of using the default cb template you kindly provided. I'll give that a try.

For 3 people, Beat, Nick and you sure cover a lot of ground. Great job.

• joomzoom1
  • joomzoom1
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #176481 by joomzoom1
krileon,

In case you catch up with this.

I tried installing cb_tpl_custom-cb17.zip as a typical extension through j1.7's Extension Manager but I get the following error message:

JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file

I am also not sure how to create a new CB template in the first place and wasn't sure where in Joomla's file directory I would find the template(s) CB is currently using (my best guess is it's in: components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default). I'm guessing by the directory structure there that there is more than one template which CB can use, such as 'dark', 'luna', 'default' (the one I would change), 'osx', etc.. I'm guilty of not reading up enough on the documentation which may be the source of my confusion here (did read the 'readme.txt' notes which were part of the installation though).

If I try to first manually unzip cb_tpl_custom-cb17.zip, then make a copy of the present 'default' directory, and copy the unzipped cb_tpl_custom-cb17.zip contents into the former 'default' directory, i.e. into components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default , i get the following error when the registration page loads:

Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in C:\xampp\htdocs\qfn\administrator\components\com_comprofiler\plugin.class.php on line 441

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\qfn\administrator\components\com_comprofiler\plugin.class.php on line 441

Any hints?
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by joomzoom1.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #176497 by nant

joomzoom1 wrote: krileon,

In case you catch up with this.

I tried installing cb_tpl_custom-cb17.zip as a typical extension through j1.7's Extension Manager but I get the following error message:

JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file

I am also not sure how to create a new CB template in the first place and wasn't sure where in Joomla's file directory I would find the template(s) CB is currently using (my best guess is it's in: components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default). I'm guessing by the directory structure there that there is more than one template which CB can use, such as 'dark', 'luna', 'default' (the one I would change), 'osx', etc.. I'm guilty of not reading up enough on the documentation which may be the source of my confusion here (did read the 'readme.txt' notes which were part of the installation though).

If I try to first manually unzip cb_tpl_custom-cb17.zip, then make a copy of the present 'default' directory, and copy the unzipped cb_tpl_custom-cb17.zip contents into the former 'default' directory, i.e. into components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default , i get the following error when the registration page loads:

Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in C<span>:</span><span>\</span>xampp\htdocs\qfn\administrator\components\com_comprofiler\plugin.class.php on line 441

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C<span>:</span><span>\</span>xampp\htdocs\qfn\administrator\components\com_comprofiler\plugin.class.php on line 441

Any hints?

It's a CB plugin and must be installed using the CB Plugin manager.

• joomzoom1
  • joomzoom1
13 years 1 month ago #176517 by joomzoom1
Thanks Nick. Installed just fine.

Now I'm trying to figure out how/where to define which template CB uses. I could cut and paste the custom one into the place of the default one but I'm sure there is a simple and much more elegant way to do this (perhaps just re-ordering the templates in the CB Plugin Manager ... will try that next.

I did read the documentation by the way and unless I missed it, I didn't come across this functionality.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #176535 by nant

joomzoom1 wrote: Thanks Nick. Installed just fine.

Now I'm trying to figure out how/where to define which template CB uses. I could cut and paste the custom one into the place of the default one but I'm sure there is a simple and much more elegant way to do this (perhaps just re-ordering the templates in the CB Plugin Manager ... will try that next.

I did read the documentation by the way and unless I missed it, I didn't come across this functionality.

CB Configuration -> User profile tab.

Only Advanced/Professional members have access to the detail documentation.
If you do not want to upgrade your membership, then you need to at least carefully go through the CB backend area and familiarize yourself with the parameters (each one is explained).
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by nant.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon