Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Is CBSubs compatible with Email as Username ?

• rebreanu
  • rebreanu
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #150240 by rebreanu
Hello. I have a pre-sale questions. Please tell me if the CB + CBSubs combination is 100% compatible with the "Email as Username" extension 2.6.21 made by Dylan Humphreys.

This is not advertise, but I must give you the link in order to know what I am talking about:

www.lunarhotel.co.uk/joomla-plugins/make-usernames-in-joomla-a-thing-of-the-past.html

I know the username is very important when we speak about unix/linux machines but for my community, the use of username will be a real issue. It is a MUST that I (and probably there are lots of "we" in the CB+CBSubs present and future clients) need to use the email and pass LOGIN ONLY mode. Also, a full DEMO SITE of CB+CBSubs with a dummy payment processor will help me (us) a lot makeing the decision to buy your products.

Thank you, I will look forward for your answer.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 9 months ago #150265 by krileon
Given that Username must be unique and that Email must be unique I don't see why using Email as Username would cause any problems as long as the email column in _users is kept up to date. Not sure what compatibility exactly you're needing, could you please provide more details?

You can find a demo site here ; no admin privileges are provided, sorry. We do provide a 30-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• rebreanu
  • rebreanu
13 years 9 months ago #150315 by rebreanu
Thank you for your quick answer.

About the EMAIL AS USERNAME feature, on the registration form THERE MUST BE NOT a "chose username field" (the username must be assigned by the system, unique ID number, and invisible for everybody). Only email address field, first name field, surname field, gender and other details optional, but available later in "customize profile"). Because the username is a unique ID number, the user can change his email address a number of times and change his password a number of times.

Thank you.

Post edited by: rebreanu, at: 2011/01/07 16:27

Post edited by: rebreanu, at: 2011/01/07 16:32

Post edited by: rebreanu, at: 2011/01/07 16:33

Post edited by: rebreanu, at: 2011/01/08 19:03

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 9 months ago #150490 by krileon
I see, simply don't display the username on registration (set it to not display in field management). Once done ensure you've set CB within configuration on the general tab to login by email.

Username will typically if not display substitute in the Name of the user and not their email. So you'll need something to fix this by changing the username field to email address. I recommend Professional subscriber available incubator project CB Queries to perform a query after registration to change the username. You could also just use CBSubs SQL Actions to change the username when a user subscribes assuming you require a subscription to register (even free ones).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• rebreanu
  • rebreanu
13 years 9 months ago #150500 by rebreanu
Thank you again. I will (try to) do it! It will be great to have an out of the box solution for "email as username" in CB. If you do a simple google search for "email as username" you will find lots of this:

"Today we’ll discuss why is much better to ask the user to login with email/password instead of username/password. I’ll be short and punctual, I don’t like long blabbing articles the essence of which can be written in a line, so:

1. The email address can’t be already registered (obviously), and if it is, you registered it and you can request a new password
2. As a consequence of the above, the user can’t forget his email. You may be having what, 2-3 email addresses? You can’t forget them
3. One less field on the register form. Everybody hates long forms
4. You make the users use a real name, instead of s_87757 or pinkygirl1995 or other crap like that

If you think of something else, drop a line and i’ll add reasons. "

I'm still testing CB, just installed it. Most probably my subscriptions for both CB and CBSubs will follow shortly.

It will be better for us (buyers)and you (the seller) to be one step forward in front of jo***cial with the "out of the box email as username" login and user registration.

So better let "La Dole" enjoy the beautiful view of Lac Léman, Le Salève and Les Alpes in the back, act like a pro and go directly to the keyboard and prove yourselves one more time your programmer great value :)

I'm looking forward for the results!

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 9 months ago #150515 by krileon
Login via email is not a problem. As you can simply change the login type within CB configuration (literally 2-3 clicks) and be done. The problem is you're wanting to get rid of or change the entire purpose/structure of the username field.

Instead of a quick a simple approach as renaming Username to say Nickname you want to change it entirely, which is very complicated. It's not a limitation of CB by any means it is because Joomla absolutely requires Username, Name, Email, Password. Without one of the specified Joomla will NOT operate properly and nor will MANY extensions that rely on those fields.

We've a forgot login feature that also allows retrieval of username and/or password by specifying your email address making it very easy to retrieve your information so that's a non-issue.

Your concerns of username are valid, but we allow you to change the validation method for the username field. This means you can stop users from having silly usernames very easily. You could also provide REGEX validation for the username field literally allowing users to permit only the exact naming structure you want.

We've no competition with Jomsocial, we're two completely different extensions going in two completely different directions. I encourage users to use whichever best fits their needs.

We've many many things planned for CB 2.0 that will push it into the "state of the art" department, but that's some while from now. We provide users with "state of the art" plugins by way Professional subscription and our Incubator where we can produce plugins personally for users to use without the heavy review processes required to provide the plugin through Joomlapolis. More on incubator can be found here .

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: rebreanu

Moderators: beatnantkrileon