Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Projects

6 months 3 weeks ago #337600 by SuperHaven
CB Projects (Shutup and take my money) was created by SuperHaven
Hey guys, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am dealing with something stressful. I am an aspiring video content creator (aka Youtuber) and I know the current roadblock I need to deal with is Project Management. I have been looking for a solution; all of whom are subscription based on number of staff (Staff of 1 but I must buy 3 seats a month.... no)...

Well I started looking for something that can just be a part of my website. I found a promising piece of paid software, but I never got it to work on my site, even after letting their tech people have access to the server side of things. Support just stopped replying and I didn't renew. So I am on the search again. 

I thought to myself just now; Damn, I wish those Joom-pocalypse guys (I can never remember how to pronounce the site, so its either that or "the CB Guys" lol) would make a project management add-on. Like, CB-Subs, CB-Groups, CB-Projects.

I know this isn't an easy go, per say, however I see a lot of the needed functionality already present in other CB-software. SO...

I want to put the idea out-there for a community builder based project management addon; to get feedback from the developers and from other users. So, what does everyone think? 

[Takes an unreasonably deep breath: Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, pretty please?]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 months 3 weeks ago #337607 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Projects (Shutup and take my money)
Do you have some examples of what you're wanting? It might be possible to do this with CB GroupJive where each project is just a group. Since you already found such software you're welcome to PM me the link to it and if they've a demo I can take a look and maybe have some suggestions to offer with what we currently provide.

Our plugins tend to be very flexible bordering on the ridiculously flexible side of things so they can often be configured and used in completely unconventional ways. So while a plugin may have a defined purpose we often leave room to use it in many many different ways.

We however won't be taking on any new projects until CB 3.x gets its feet off the grounds. We're completely modernizing CB into a Slim/Symfony application that embeds into Joomla and WordPress. It'll be a gradual roll out though so CB 2.x and 3.x will exist at the same time and use feature flags to turn on CB 3.x new things. The reason new projects are on hold is all our API will be redone in CB 3.x.

I went ahead and moved your topic to pre-sales for better visibility as I'm hoping we can put together something that might work for you with existing plugins.

I thought to myself just now; Damn, I wish those Joom-pocalypse guys (I can never remember how to pronounce the site, so its either that or "the CB Guys" lol)

LOL! I just say it as joom-la-polis, but I'm probably even saying it wrong.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 months 3 weeks ago #337609 by SuperHaven
Replied by SuperHaven on topic CB Projects (Shutup and take my money)
I'll work on getting something written up for my two use-cases. I'll get it posted asap.

Any idea when CB.3 will be the stable/standard version; Q?Y?

Pronunciations: I can never remember without looking at the site logo; then I feel foolish lol. Just imagine how either way sounds in a deep southern draw accents of the south east united states. Not the most intelligent sounding bunch lol.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 months 3 weeks ago #337610 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Projects (Shutup and take my money)

Any idea when CB.3 will be the stable/standard version; Q?Y?

Partially this year. Basically CB 2.x and CB 3.x will exist at the same time on an install. Parts of CB 2.x will then gradually shift in CB 3.x over time as we make releases.

We'll use feature flags to swap things over to rewritten parts of CB 2.x (e.g. feature flag to swap to CB 3.x profiles). So the idea is everyone's sites will continue to work with 100% backwards compatibility so there's no risk of breaks.

The first release of CB 3.x will likely be just some barebones APIs that plugins can start using (e.g. new routing, new templating, etc..). Once we've enough APIs in place we can start making new plugins exclusively for CB 3.x.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 months 2 weeks ago #338774 by SuperHaven
Replied by SuperHaven on topic CB Projects (Shutup and take my money)
Subject: Community Builder Based Project Management System (PMS):
-Note the date of original posting vs this post and you will see, it has been a minute since then. Sorry for the delay, life happens.
Greeting readers, as you can see in the original post, I am looking for a project management system for managing a (several) YouTube Channel(s).Background: I have looked at and even purchased other Project Management Joomla Extensions. One extension in particular I will talk about later in the post detailing my bad experience with them; however this extension if it had worked properly would have been most of what I needed. To further expand on what I am needing, I will site applications that can be installed on desktop as well as companies that offer web/cloud versions.

This started by me in the General Request category of the Open Area Forum.
-This post was me being pissy because I was frustrated over an issue I was having that was unrelated to Community Builder. In my pissy mood, I came to the CB-Site because I needed to grab the latest downloads.I needed to do a clean install of my website because I was worried about vulnerabilities being created by the failed attempt to get the other (non-CB) extension working. Being logged-in for the first time in a while I checked the forums out of habit and saw the category I originally posted in. When I see a general requests area, I personally see that as a solicitation from the devs for new requests. My mood at the time plus the solicitation equals a place I can vent without being outwardly obvious. However, Krileon did not do what I expected. I expected to be told no outright, or no because of any number of reasons. Krileon stated, they are not looking to develop new addons until after the next major stable version of Community Builder (2.x to 3.x) occurs; however he did want to know more as some elements of a project management system are already present in CB-Addons; ie, GroupJive, each project to be managed could be a group. Since they are interested in hearing more about what I am needing, I have elected to type it all up and post it to the forums. I typed this in Microsoft word and was not quite prepared for the length I ended up with. I want to get you as much information as possible so please do not let the length be daunting, there should be very little fat here.

Here are some takeaways before we get started.
  • I am not a software or web developer, I know this is not a matter of a few lines of code and there you go.
  • I am assuming you know something about project management or take the time to look up the software I [put in brackets] below.
  • If anything is confusing or unclear, please let me know and I will clarify.
  • When describing what I am needing, I am going to type as if I have zero knowledge on CB or its current addons. Basically if it can be done already I havn’t figured it out, so explain things as if it is my first time seeing it.
All that clear as mud? Good, lets get started.

I am needing a task tracker / project manager / work scheduler, that I can access via Windows Desktop, Android Mobile, and iPad Tablet, with a strong preference to being self hosted. An Extension to my Joomla+CB site would achieve that accessibility.This will start me being the only team member, but I would like to have a starting structure intended to be utilized by any number of people with different permissions and access. [Bonus: Way to monetize insider access via CB-Subs, to be described later; more bonus points if we can do time tracking for payroll.]

[ProjectLibre] was my initial choice for (windows) desktop project management because it is free, however it is not supported on my other devices (android phone, ipad tablet). Project Libre does offer a cloud-version which is accessible via browser. This option could work for me, however their support-staff did not reply when I asked about pricing. Their smallest cloud package requires purchasing subscriptions for three “seats”, even if you are a team of one. In order to use their cloud-option, I would have to pay up-front 3x the cost of what I am actually utilizing.

[Monday] and [Asana] are two web providers for this type of tracker but I was not all that thrilled with their free trials. All in all I wish I had an option that works with my Joomla website; then I could just host and maintain it all on my own. (Note: Asana is the one I am leaning towards until I successfully talk Joomlapolis into developing this new addon branch ;) xoxox )

This then lead me to [JoomProject] by developer [JoomBoost]. This software appears to do almost everything I need. After making my purchase and completing the installation, I never got it to work properly. After getting their support involved in troubleshooting, I had to give them very deep access to my site and server, which made me uncomfortable. Watching the logs of what they were doing seemed fine until the logs were cleared. That made me very uncomfortable… anyways, support stopped replying to my tickets so I said screw it and went looking for my next thing. If CB-Projects did everything this software says it will do, I'd be a happy customer.

[Microsoft Project] is promising, but out of the budget. I want something I can buy once, or at a reasonable price yearly. This monthly payment model that so many places have went to are ridiculous.

Now I would like to describe “CB-Projects” as if I were commissioning it for myself. I figure the best way to tell you what I need is to tell you what I want.The software is installed on my site and configured. There is an obvious “front end” and “back-end” for the extension. After initial configuration on the back end, everything else is done on the front end. Management of teams should likely be handled on the back-end to assure no unauthorized user permissions get applied. I think there should be included a suggested best practices for managing access; for example, I am going to describe managing youtube channels, the software I am describing could be used for say, construction. A main developer, General Contractors, Sub-Contractors, all needing access to different things at different times; different people need to be add new users with new access permission while following rules to protect unrelated projects..

I would set everything up in CB-Projects with teams in mind. As I see it, these are my current list of teams based on Joomla User Groups: a Sub-group of registered will be Staff; under staff will be Talent/Host; Camera; Marketing (Sub-groups; Ads, Merch, Social Media); Editors; Subscribers [group for CB-Subs-feature to be described later]; Publisher, Scheduler/Planner.

I need to start the process for the next episode. From my front-end dashboard I navigate to dashboard for the Cross Cut Crafting channel, I click new episode. The next screen I key in details about the episode, Title being required, things like release date can be added here. Now there should be a button "Build Project from Tasklist". I can select Leathercraft from the tasklist and it will prepopulate based on known dependencies (Like for the leathercraft example, before sewing comes dying or before we can shoot b-roll of the final product, we have to complete final assembly.

On my crafting channel; a Leather-craft video is 34 tasks if I broke it down into steps; that is everything from pre-planning, through final publishing. At the moment, I do everything, as soon as I can add a team, some of those 34 steps can be delegated to a dedicated team.

Uh.. my A.D.D. motivation just f-ed right off and my creative writing ability with along with it,,. The no frills version of what I need, make the Community Builder Developed version of JoomBoost's JoomProject; (That actually f-ing works) then I want to also have an integration with CB-Subs to where I can sell insider access to in process projects as a fund raising mechanism. (permissions need to be discussed but that is a while thread we can get in to if you all take up this development path.  

• krileon
  • krileon
2 months 2 weeks ago #338781 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Projects
The main issue with project management as they tend to need to be oriented for a specific market. Most for example are centered around software development. Having a generic one would require substantial amount of work. I could see us potentially making one, but it'd likely also be centered around software development.

So with that said what kind of industry exactly are you needing the project management to be for and what core features are you needing in that project management? I would assume the baskets of time management (e.g. calendars, meeting scheduling, etc..), teams (e.g. assigning users to specific teams and their access permissions), and tasks (e.g. rewrite marketing, post on socials, etc.. that teams are assigned to). When I think project management those are primarily the aspects that I think of and based off your leather craft video example that's probably all you'd need.

Additionally there's quite a few open source free project management solutions available as well. We're using Redmine for our Forge (public ticket tracker) for example. OpenProject is also quite popular and petty solid project management solution that covers a wide range of industries. It might be better to give one of these a tries as if we do decide to create CB Projects it would likely be quite awhile before we get around to starting development of it (we've a backlog of new plugins to create).

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon