Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Projects

2 months 1 week ago #338792 by SuperHaven
Replied by SuperHaven on topic CB Projects

So with that said what kind of industry exactly are you needing the project management to be for and what core features are you needing in that project management? I would assume the baskets of time management (e.g. calendars, meeting scheduling, etc..), teams (e.g. assigning users to specific teams and their access permissions), and tasks (e.g. rewrite marketing, post on socials, etc.. that teams are assigned to). When I think project management those are primarily the aspects that I think of and based off your leather craft video example that's probably all you'd need.

That would do / is a good description of what I am looking for with one addition, a means for someone on the front-end to initiate a task; for example, an employee's badge wouldn't work on the timeclock. have a button they could click that would initiate the process of correcting their time and getting their badge replaced. Another way to describe this may be Task-Triggers.

I assume my industry would be called film-making, but lets face it I am trying to become a youtuber. So I am doing everything from paying to bills to fixing the roof to cleaning the floors to making videos while working my real-world job. The project manager is to keep me on task long enough to become able to pay someone else to do the routine. By that time "routine" tasks should quickly become easy to identify and delegate. 

Not to skip ahead, but looking at the OpenProjects website, my use-cases would be: (in order of priority): "Product Roadmap and Release Planning", "Project Planning and Scheduling", "Team Collaboration", "Task Management and Issue Tracking", "Time Tracking, Cost Reporting and Budgeting", ,  .... .... .... Damn, I don't ask for much do I.... nevermind, I'll shut up.

Additionally there's quite a few open source free project management solutions available as well. We're using Redmine for our Forge (public ticket tracker) for example. OpenProject is also quite popular and petty solid project management solution that covers a wide range of industries. It might be better to give one of these a tries as if we do decide to create CB Projects it would likely be quite awhile before we get around to starting development of it (we've a backlog of new plugins to create).

OpenProject was previously unknown to me despite the fact I have google-searched "Open Source Project Management Software"....  I am going to look in to them, thank you for the info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 months 1 week ago #338795 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Projects
Ok, so sounds like you'd only need the basics of project management. That's likely something we could accomplish in a future new plugin, but given there's so many project management software out there I'm not sure we'd have the resources to realistically compete outside of a pretty basic project management solution.

For now though I certainly recommend looking into solutions like OpenProject (Community Edition) as it's very well maintained and is open source so it's a great solution for you I think. Maybe in the future if we do make CB Projects it could just be an integration with OpenProject to bring its management into Joomla.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #338798 by SuperHaven
Replied by SuperHaven on topic CB Projects

Ok, so sounds like you'd only need the basics of project management. That's likely something we could accomplish in a future new plugin, but given there's so many project management software out there I'm not sure we'd have the resources to realistically compete outside of a pretty basic project management solution.

If ya'll did it, I'd buy it. 

For now though I certainly recommend looking into solutions like OpenProject (Community Edition) as it's very well maintained and is open source so it's a great solution for you I think. Maybe in the future if we do make CB Projects it could just be an integration with OpenProject to bring its management into Joomla.

Yeah some type of log-in bridge with ACL could work for some people. My only downside to that methodology is it (the project management environment) is separate from the joomla installation; however I do not know if that would be a deal breaker. I do not know enough about OpenProject to say for-sure. More work is needed on my part to answer that.
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by SuperHaven. Reason: Typos

Moderators: beatnantkrileon