Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Text area field truncate text

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #202049 by deltafidesign
Text area field truncate text was created by deltafidesign
I have a text area field; it works fine but now I see that it truncates the text after X characters. I can type as long as I want, but it trunctates after saving to X characters number.

I use CB core ajax field, and the text area field is editable by front end with ajax. If I edit it from the profile it correctly shows me all the text in the editor view, when I try to edit it from profile edit menù it shows me only the truncated text in edit area.

So, the text is correctly stored into DB but not correcty dispalyed in the field.

A bug?
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by deltafidesign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 4 months ago #202050 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Text area field truncate text

deltafidesign wrote: I have a text area field; it works fine but now I see that it truncates the text after X characters. I can type as long as I want, but it trunctates after saving to X characters number.

I use CB core ajax field, and the text area field is editable by front end with ajax. If I edit it from the profile it correctly shows me all the text in the editor view, when I try to edit it from profile edit menù it shows me only the truncated text in edit area.

So, the text is correctly stored into DB but not correcty dispalyed in the field.

A bug?

The Text Area field has a Size and a Max Length parameter.
Did you set these values?

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #202054 by deltafidesign
Replied by deltafidesign on topic Re: Text area field truncate text

nant wrote: The Text Area field has a Size and a Max Length parameter.
Did you set these values?

Yes I've setted all 2 values to 65000 but no way. I've solved changing the DB type from Varchar(255) to LONGTEXT setting it to 65535.

Could this be a problem with future upgrades?

Anyway I don't know why before it worked fine and now not and I had to change the DB type to let it work.

Also, now in the CB tools check for CB fields it show me a fix 'cause Table #__comprofiler Column cb_textareafield type is longtext instead of varchar(255)
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by deltafidesign.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 4 months ago #202091 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Text area field truncate text
Textarea fields are "mediumtext", which is 16,777,215 maximum characters. This seams far sufficient enough. Text fields however are 255. Are you sure you created a textarea field and not a text field?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 4 months ago #202102 by deltafidesign
Replied by deltafidesign on topic Re: Text area field truncate text
Yes, I can confirm that it is a text area field. What happened? Maybe the fix tool...?

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 4 months ago #202105 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Text area field truncate text
Did you edit cb.core.xml by chance? Are you sure you're using CB 1.8? Are you using latest CB Core Fields Ajax? See professional downloads section for latest.

The below is taken directly from cb.core.xml of CB 1.8, which determines its database type and it's mediumtext.
Code:
<field type="textarea" label="Text Area"> <data name="" nametype="namesuffix" type="sql:mediumtext" null="true" default="NULL" strict="false" />

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon