Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Required icon obscured

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205712 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Required icon obscured
Many said features don't do anything and are empty promises. It just causes "pop-in" of content, which annoys users to no end. Slower connections may end up waiting for content and leave, because it loaded too slow. Even worse is a JS error may stop the AJAX from working all together any it may never load in at all. As well as "layered" content (such as what you saw with required field) will never load in as it's "not shown".

Caching is also another bad idea on a dynamic site as content changes rapidly and caching is built around storing data then re-displaying the stored data, which will always be out of date.

Then there's CSS/JS compression which merges all of Joomlas header styles and JS into single files then compresses them. This causes absolute/relative pathing to completely break in them. In most cases will also cause massive conflicts as well. This also results in 1 giant file downloading to the user instead of several smaller files; so it's really zero performance gain for the user. Browsers already cache CSS/JS anyway so after initial load it doesn't even matter.

Just some tips if anyone is to see such features in templates. Simply put; don't use them.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon