Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Can Google crawler access CB fields?

12 years 3 months ago #205857 by davidjoomla11
Can Google crawler access CB fields? was created by davidjoomla11
Hi, on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)- While the Google crawler accesses contents in our articles, does it also have access to the CB fields? This is important for sites that are like a directory and search is important. Unlike articles, there are no Metadata options in CB list.

For e.g. a field for people who have passed on and some info which are recorded by registered users. So when Google crawler access the site e.g. www.bookoflived.info , will it also access the CB list created? If yes, when people google search for the name, the site may appear in the google results. Otherwise, it may never. Thanks for helping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #205890 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Can Google crawler access CB fields?
The crawler will log everything on the page basically, but it'll only display a short snipped of the page as the description. This is usually the first bit of information closest to the top of the page if there's no metadata to tell it what to display. You can use the CB Auto Actions plugin with the after profile render trigger in a Code action with a Header method to add metadata to profile pages though (substitutions supported too).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #205967 by davidjoomla11
Replied by davidjoomla11 on topic Re: Can Google crawler access CB fields?
Thanks Krileon. After doing some test, I discovered that google does crawl through the profile name of the registered user and the website pops out in the first search result page when I googled the user name!

But here is the problem. This site is meant to remember people who have passed away and is recorded by people who are still living. So e.g. registered user is "Isaiah Paul Das" and the person he made a record for is "Joseph Das". So by right, people doing a search for the deceased will google "Joseph Das" but the website will not appear in the google search results. Instead if you google search the user "Isaiah Paul Das", the site appears in the first result page!

I think this is because the profile page title captures the registered user name which is crawled by google. How can we modify so that the profile page title capture the other name field (i.e. name of deceased).

Your expert advice is appreciated.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #206015 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Can Google crawler access CB fields?
You can modify the page title with CB Auto Actions in a code action with a method of Page Title (substitutions are supported; e.g. [cb_myfield]). You can modify the title at the top of the profile by editing the language string _UE_PROFILE_TITLE_TEXT or "User Profile Page Title" in CB > Tab Management.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #206116 by davidjoomla11
Replied by davidjoomla11 on topic Re: Can Google crawler access CB fields?
The profile title in the cb tab does not need changes. It is the page title at browser tab that needs change. So for the latter, is it using CB Auto Actions as you suggested? Is there any doc to read on how to do it?

• tommytoxen
  • tommytoxen
12 years 3 months ago #206118 by tommytoxen
Replied by tommytoxen on topic Re: Can Google crawler access CB fields?
Aha, I'm looking for the same haha, to change the browser title.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon