Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Can Google crawler access CB fields?

12 years 3 months ago #206341 by davidjoomla11
Replied by davidjoomla11 on topic Re: Can Google crawler access CB fields?
Oh no. My happiness was shortlived after reading on. As mentioned earlier, the name of deceased is the name needed to appear at the page title. It is a cb field.

Is the anyway to modify the css etc? To replace [username] with [cb_field]. If yes, location of file please. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #206344 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Can Google crawler access CB fields?
What's the problem exactly? You can use substitutions in CB Auto Actions. Just specify the title as your field. Please see my exmaple below where I use substitutions.

Type: Code
Trigger: onAfterUserProfileDisplay
Access: Everybody
Method: Page Title
Code: [user_id] - [username]

or are you referring to SEF URLs? As no you can't change this; it'll always use Username for the SEF URLs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #206347 by davidjoomla11
the issue is what was stated originally in the subject - need for google to crawl over that cb_field so that the particular profile page with that cb_field can appear the google search result.

So now question is whether the spider crawl over url or page title.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #206354 by krileon
Google displays in its results 2 things. Page Title and Description. The page title can be changed with CB Auto Actions as explained throughout this thread. The Description is a metatag, which you can add using CB Auto Actions (Code action with Head method). If no description is included Google will use the first few words up to a maximum character count (100?) that it finds on the page.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #206362 by davidjoomla11
this sounds really good. I've already completed changing the title using your step. Successful. Now will do a test and monitor to see if google captures the page title and display the results like before. Will keep you updated if that's useful.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #206367 by krileon
To add a description use the header method with the below as the code.

<meta name="description" content="CONTENT_HERE" />

Please keep in mind the CONTENT_HERE should include no HTML. It needs to be just a string of text. You can find more information below on what meta tags Google uses.

support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=79812

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon