Skip to Content Skip to Menu

About CB-quickstart-pro_1.0.0

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 2 months ago #208416 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: About CB-quickstart-pro_1.0.0

and (This is the part that stumped me) click on the "Click here" a second time.

You're telling the installer that CB is done installing. Without this step it would cause CB plugins to start installing even though CB never finished installing. It essentially is pausing the installer until CB is confirmed done.

Dumb question: Why does it need a second new window? Would be nice to have everything in the current one. Less confusion, less posts

Small extensions only use Joomlas installer to process their content. CB for example has a second step (so does Kunena and numerous other extensions) that needs to be processed. However, during that second step the installer must pause or it'll install CB plugins (or try to) even though CB isn't done. There's also no way for me, JS wise, to know that second step is going on and when it completes (accurately).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #208427 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re: About CB-quickstart-pro_1.0.0

krileon wrote: ...However, during that second step the installer must pause or it'll install CB plugins (or try to) even though CB isn't done. There's also no way for me, JS wise, to know that second step is going on and when it completes (accurately).

What about a modal window. At least, that won´t confuse as much as a total new window. A hint to close the modal window makes more sense to me. Seems more obvious. Then, I return smoothly to the first main window... which might have a nicer and dominant styling for "click here to continue..."

BTW, there is no technique to let the parent/main window know about the focus? I mean, some event that says: Hey, you closed the modal? And give focus back to me? Then trigger the link "continue"...

(just thinking loud)

• caropolis
  • caropolis
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #208431 by caropolis
Replied by caropolis on topic Re: About CB-quickstart-pro_1.0.0
Hello,
I tried to install the package, but during the uploading, it stops, and there is an new page where I have to login as the administrator. Then I have a page with the upload window, but no admin menu.
I closed firefox and tried again. Idem. I just have a component menu "com-packageinstaller". But the link goes nowhere, blanck page (only the admin menu, without content).
Itried to use the "back" arrow, without success.
Is there something I could try ?
Thaanks for your help
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by caropolis. Reason: I didn't read all the answers

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 2 months ago #208464 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: About CB-quickstart-pro_1.0.0

What about a modal window. At least, that won´t confuse as much as a total new window. A hint to close the modal window makes more sense to me. Seems more obvious. Then, I return smoothly to the first main window... which might have a nicer and dominant styling for "click here to continue..."

Modal windows won't work either. What if there is more than 1 extension that needs to open a window? Understand I wrote the packager and installer as general solutions, it's not just for CB or this package. Also CB second step performs a redirect. The display of a modal window is AJAX result or worse, an iframe. Soon as CB does its redirect you'd leave the installer page. Iframes don't work, because CB doesn't permit them.

I've already improved the installer for next release. For example the click here links will be bigger. I've also added a "pause" icon that shows when a second step is taking place instead of always showing the swirly icon.

BTW, there is no technique to let the parent/main window know about the focus? I mean, some event that says: Hey, you closed the modal? And give focus back to me? Then trigger the link "continue"...

There is and it's designed to hook to those events, but they're not reliable. This is how it was before and it wasn't accurate enough and resulted in plugins trying to install before CB completes. These events also only go 1 page deep, meaning once CB has performed its reload to begin step 2 the event is lost and the installer has no idea if that's step 2 or a legitimate close.

Basically how it is now is as good as it's going to get. The solution is for CB to change how its installer works and remove step 2, but that's not coming until CB 2.x.

I tried to install the package, but during the uploading, it stops, and there is an new page where I have to login as the administrator. Then I have a page with the upload window, but no admin menu.
I closed firefox and tried again. Idem. I just have a component menu "com-packageinstaller". But the link goes nowhere, blanck page (only the admin menu, without content).
Itried to use the "back" arrow, without success.
Is there something I could try ?

Huh? Login? It doesn't do anything of the sort. Login to Joomla backend. Install it as you would any Joomla extension. That's all there is to it. Watch the screen for any actions that may need to be performed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pepperstreet

Moderators: beatnantkrileon