Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Tabbed Step-by-Step Registration - Browser display vertically centred

• mbs
  • mbs
6 years 3 days ago #308066 by mbs
Hi folks - I have a client who is annoyed at the default browser behaviour when using the tabbed step-by-step registration process, in that the second tab, third tab, and so on, all default to the browser page display being more-or-less vertically centred. In other words, to see the canvas area, the tab names and the icon legend (which are all at the top of the registration page display), requires that the user consciously has to scroll upwards, to see them. This occurs for all tabbed pages where the number of fields concerned is greater than can be comfortably displayed without scrolling. Ideally, all tab page displays should default to a 'top' display, with the user having to scroll downwards to see any additional fields. This behaviour appears not to be related to either the template or the browser, as I've tried multiple alternatives with the same resulting behaviour. Is there perhaps some quick override / code snippet / configuration setting that can be incorporated into CB to resolve this? I've searched the forums to no avail. Admittedly, this is a purely cosmetic issue, but I have to somehow urgently overcome the client's annoyance and would appreciate any suggestions - many thanx indeed.

Database mysql 5.5.5-10.0.36-MariaDB-1~jessie
PHP Version 7.0.32-2+0~20181015120515.7+jessie~1.gbpa6b8cf
Joomla! 3.8.13 Stable [ Amani ] 9-October-2018 14:00 GMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 2 days ago #308077 by krileon
Not sure I understand the issue. Using previous or next should focus to the top of the tabs content. It's not going to focus to the top of the page it self as the tab may not even be at the top of the page resulting in it being out of focus. So if the next tab for example is really long and you use next to navigate to it it should scroll the page up to the top of that tab and have confirmed this is working correctly in my tests. Is this not working for you or are you wanting to just change that behavior to focus something else?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• mbs
  • mbs
6 years 2 days ago #308086 by mbs
Hi Kyle - thanks for your response, appreciated. You indeed understand the issue correctly, and your expected behaviour is exactly what I expected as well. However, it's unfortunately not what I'm experiencing, with the 'top' browser focus instead being replaced by 'centred' browser focus, on the second and subsequent tab displays.

All 5 tabs involved currently have their 'Position' values set to 'Main area (below left/middle/right)', and the 'Display' values as 'Tab Horizontal (Left/Right)'. I've tried various Tab settings of these configuration values (including 'Canvas Menu' and 'Header (above/left/middle/right)' for the 'Position' setting), but to no avail. Could you please advise what your settings are, which then give you the expected result? Ideally, the Canvas, Legend and Tab Headings must remain on all tab page displays, with the user required to scroll downwards to see whatever additional fields require completion.

There is one difference I've noted, which may have something to do with the issue - the second tab makes use of the 'CB Core' plugin, which the other tabs do not - they show '-' in the Plugin column, under Tab Management.

Would appreciate your further advices - many thanx indeed.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 1 day ago #308100 by krileon
Please PM the URL to your registration will take a look. Something else maybe stealing focus and is why you might be having issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 11 months ago #308159 by krileon
Have reviewed your install. Not sure I understand where the problem is at. Navigating through your steps properly focuses the top of the tab in my tests. What browser are you using?

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

• mbs
  • mbs
5 years 11 months ago #308163 by mbs
Using the latest Firefox. However, have also tried with Chrome, Waterfox (old Firefox fork) and Opera, with the same unacceptable result. There also appears to be a slight misunderstanding - it's not the fact that the tabs default to 'top', but the fact that the Canvas and Legend disappear on the ostensible positioning of the tabs at the top of the page, which appears to be achieved by the 'centred' automatic vertical scrolling of the browser.

This behaviour is also not consistent, however - if you have a look at the attached images dumped while using Opera , screen 1 (first tab) shows a complete Canvas image, screens 2 and 3 (second and third tabs) show no Canvas or Legend, and screen 4 (fourth tab) shows the Legend and a partial Canvas image. What is being displayed is clearly currently dependent upon the number of fields attached to the tab concerned, with the focus being set the minute the Tabs are displayed at 'page top'. Can this not be changed so that the Canvas, Legend and Tabs remain displayed at all times as 'page top', irrespective of which tab has the current focus or how many fields it has?

Awaiting your further advices - many thanks indeed!
Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon