Skip to Content Skip to Menu

GJ - CB Activity notification

5 years 3 weeks ago #314524 by victoriakim
Replied by victoriakim on topic GJ - CB Activity notification
Controlling activity notifications via auto action is not easy, for me at least.

So I tried a couple of things:

1. I found the copy of CB Groupjive - Stream Notification Edit in the auto action, and deleted. So there is no more of the doubled edit fields. Thanks.

2. I made a copy of 'CB Groupjive - Stream Notification' and made it an email action, having 'To' field with [var2_user_id]. Is that right? As a result, only the group owner received the email, actually received multiple same emails.

And, does the "CB Groupjive - Stream Notification Edit" control both on-site notification and email notification? I published both. Or, is there a way to control only emails (no need to be 'per group' control)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 3 weeks ago #314525 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic GJ - CB Activity notification

Controlling activity notifications via auto action is not easy, for me at least.

It can be complicated which is why I've setup several system actions to do it for you. Sending emails is not something normally done anymore. It just annoys people these days and gets your domain blacklisted for spam since most people just mark it as spam to get rid of it. The system actions integrating CB Activity into various plugins will be going away eventually as I plan to just integrate CB Activity directly into those plugins so it'll be easier once that's done.

2. I made a copy of 'CB Groupjive - Stream Notification' and made it an email action, having 'To' field with [var2_user_id]. Is that right? As a result, only the group owner received the email, actually received multiple same emails.

No, that's not correct. To should be set to [action_user] or [user_id].

And, does the "CB Groupjive - Stream Notification Edit" control both on-site notification and email notification? I published both. Or, is there a way to control only emails (no need to be 'per group' control)?

Yes it controls both. It's just a condition in the auto action. You should see its condition under the Conditions tab.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: victoriakim

5 years 3 weeks ago #314535 by victoriakim
I really appreciate several GJ system actions, it helped me a lot. It's true that most people opt-out from email notifications, but for my site, group activity email notification is important, surely with opt in/out options.

When you integrate CB Activity into GJ, can you please consider an option to opt-in/out email notifications separated from onsite notifications?

I changed the 'To' field to [action_user] and it works great. Thank you! What would be the substitution for the 'group-name' for this system action, so I can use it for the email body? Is there any list of substitutions to reference to?

Thank you.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 3 weeks ago #314539 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic GJ - CB Activity notification

When you integrate CB Activity into GJ, can you please consider an option to opt-in/out email notifications separated from onsite notifications?

When directly integrated it'll just use GJs built in notification API that supports Emails and PMs already. GJs notification API will then be extended to be able to log a CB Activity notification.

I changed the 'To' field to [action_user] and it works great. Thank you! What would be the substitution for the 'group-name' for this system action, so I can use it for the email body? Is there any list of substitutions to reference to?

That auto action is acting on the activity_onAfterCreateStreamActivity trigger, which has the below variables.

Code:
$_PLUGINS->trigger( 'activity_onAfterCreateStreamActivity', array( $stream, $source, $row ) );

This means [var1_KEY] is the activity stream it self. [var2_KEY] is the source of the activity which in this case is the group. [var3_KEY] is the activity object it self. So to get group name you'd use [var2_name].

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: victoriakim

5 years 3 weeks ago #314552 by victoriakim
Thank you!

5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #314570 by victoriakim
What would be the substitution for the 'user's name' who made a post on the streamline? I tried a few like [var1_user], [var1_username]... didn't work.

Also, can I insert a group page link to the group name?

Thanks.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by victoriakim.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon