Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Planning for site revisions

• dbeezley
  • dbeezley
4 years 9 months ago #315977 by dbeezley
Planning for site revisions was created by dbeezley
I've been with CB for years and I have a site using it. I've never been very good at it and what I have isn't serving the purposes I need. I look at the manual and the tutorials and I'm overwhelmed. What I'd like to do is to describe what my goals are and ask if I can get some guidance on where to start and what are the most important tools to focus on.

I have thought about hiring help (that I can't really afford) but if I did, I'd be using a lot of time (and money) just coming to a mutual understanding of what I need, what I'm trying to accomplish.

Since I don't have the money to hire someone, I need to figure out if it is within my abilities to do it myself. I know I can't expect someone to "do it for me" but is there a way to find a kind soul to look at a description of what I want to accomplish?

1. Is my explanation understandable in terms of relating to CB?
2. If so, does CB have the tools to do what I want?
3. If so, what is an approach to getting it done?
5. What tools or combination of tools do I need to focus on?

Thanks, Doug Beezley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
4 years 9 months ago #315978 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Planning for site revisions
What is it you're trying to accomplish with your site? We've just launched CB Quickstart which gets a basic social site up and running in a single install package. It's ideally meant for a new install, but works fine on existing sites as well but may require some additional configuring if you're custom tabs/fields since it does not touch anything except what is necessary to create the quickstart experience.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dbeezley
  • dbeezley
4 years 9 months ago #315979 by dbeezley
Replied by dbeezley on topic Planning for site revisions
Yes, I saw that quickstart and it did seem interesting. Simple is better, I guess. I will put together a description and send it shortly. Thanks for getting back to me.
d

• dbeezley
  • dbeezley
4 years 9 months ago #316023 by dbeezley
Holidays have slowed my response. I do appreciate your attention to my question. I had written a more detailed description of the project but here is the crux of it. This is a genealogy project. As such, the core group organization is not set by voluntary interests but by actual family tree relationships. It is a worldwide study and participation would be in the hundreds. The problem I have is organizing and identifying participants so they can plainly see who is related and how. The Beasley Surname Study is organized by DNA related groupings as discovered by Y chromosome genetic types. Within those types are distinct Patriarch Trees, that is, an early patriarch of the Beasley name and all of his descendants. Because of YDNA testing we know which trees are connected genetically. If people can easily see both their near relationships and the scope of the entire study, it would greatly help in collaborative research.

Fortunately, these YDNA groups, known as Haplogroups, are identified by color names (e.g. Blue Group, Yellow Group, Green Group) which helps graphically. For years, I have had more than 100 registered participants but from the outset, they rarely log in. That is because there is nothing engaging to see. Originally, I figured content would be the draw but working alone creating content is slow and tedious. Besides, content exists all over the place so the more important step is to help people link up, find that content and work together building it.

The registration process is designed to identify ancestral information, interests, skills, and contact information to encourage collaboration in an organized way. Since the whole study is organized by genetics and there are specific methods for researching and identifying connections, people need to learn how the system works. For example, if a volunteer was to help in a library, the would need to understand the Dewey system.

I also need a vibrant and integrated forum to discuss and record information. Generally speaking, genealogists communicate all the time. It's just that it is by email. A Forum is much better, but people resist because email is so much easier. Even if the communication is organized through a forum, folks need to have a reason to change habits and use it.

I would like to send out invitations to hundreds of people I know, but without a means for them to be drawn into the system, such invitations would be premature. Whatever it is, it needs to be planned for as much automation as possible because I become bogged down in managing all the people.

Genealogical workspace is all over the Internet, so I don't need to recreate it, I need to link it and build those links into the website so that all the work happens "out there" and never to be found and lost to others who need to build on past work.

The problem I have is that I'm not good at Website building and I never will be, both by aptitude and having so many research and communication issues to attend to. I just don't have a plan for how all the Joomla and CB tools can best fit together. If it is beyond me to get it fully set up, I would at least be able to communicate a general plan if I need to hire someone.

The website is at beasleygenealogy.net . I have CB admin credentials available if you would suggest how to send it. Some of the other notable locations that need to be linked are here:

www.familytreedna.com/groups/beasley/about (main page, managed by me as FTDNA project admin)
www.familytreedna.com/public/beasley?iframe=yresults (genetic groups by color)
www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Beasley_Name_Study (Project page for an important collaborative site which is lacking a means for organization and communication for a surname study.)
www.wikitree.com/wiki/Beezley-12 (my profile page, each study participant is encouraged to have an account here.)
beasley.one-name.net/ (A project archive managed by me using the premier online genealogy project platform
known as TNG. It is hosted by the Guild of One-Name Studies. It can be built in any way I please. In my case, it is Joomla containing TNG. Eventually, we will want to merge the two sites.)

There are other important sites to link such as Ancestry.com where all the 120 existing Project trees are located.

Once again, what I'm asking for is a strategy for using CB to bring it all together.

Doug

• krileon
  • krileon
4 years 9 months ago #316046 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Planning for site revisions
Without APIs to interface with the external services you're using there is no way to bring them under 1 roof. Best I can suggest if they don't have such an API is to just link to the relevant pages using HTML or Joomla external menu items. Worst case I guess you could make HTTP calls and scrape the pages HTML with some custom document parsing. Sorry, I've no experience with genealogy so I'm not sure what exactly you're wanting CB to do in regards to linking to those services.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dbeezley
  • dbeezley
4 years 9 months ago #316058 by dbeezley
The questions probably due to a case of too much information, leaving out some of the important stuff.

The important point is that I need to design a website that encourages people to collaborate. That is the principal reason for the website rather than content.

The outside genealogy/DNA content is not relevant. We will provide external links or frames as needed. My present concern. It is only CB and Kunena within Joomla.

The structure of groups and subgroups (categories and subcategories) is pre-determined. Members/Registrants don't choose their group. Categories are on two levels. The top-level consists of (presently) exactly 12 groups labeled by color: Ignore the genealogy/DNA part.

There is a possibility of additional color groups being formed, but not frequently. There is a second level that we call "trees" but what it is called is not important. Some Color Groups have only one sub-group (trees) and some have dozens. With research, the configuration of these subgroups will change. A subgroup might split into two, two or more subgroups might combine, and some might move to a different top-level color group.

The thing is, the registered members don't choose a group. In the registration process, I gather information and use that information to tell them which group (tree) they are in. When I thought about using Group Jive, my concern is that it is designed for a more flexible voluntary design.

So, here's my first question: given my needs, does Group Jive serve a useful purpose?

Here's my second big question: would any of the new "QuickStart" choices fit my needs?

My third big question: would auto actions be helpful? Some of what I do is tedious to keep track of. I just don't understand these things enough to know. But I don't want to waste my limited brainpower to learn it if it won't be useful.

My fourth question is about "Activities". I don't understand what that is for, how it connects. Is that to make administration easier or easier for users? Or both?

I have some other more specific problems I have run into, but I'll leave it here to see if you have any guidance.

BTW... I have tried using the manual and the videos. I work with the specific steps to do a particular job. But I have trouble understanding how it all fits together. It is like learning, say, knitting stitches but I don't get how to put it together like a sweater. I need to have a plan and priorities to put that together. Also, if I was to try and hire something, I need to learn how to express it so folks like you can understand what I'm asking without getting buried in my technical matters.

Thanks, Doug

Moderators: beatnantkrileon