Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Strange communications error with PayPal

• petekuhn
  • petekuhn
2 months 6 days ago #338884 by petekuhn
Replied by petekuhn on topic Strange communications error with PayPal
Just updating that I checked our paypal settings for business and main receiver email addresses and for identity token and all are correct. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• petekuhn
  • petekuhn
2 months 6 days ago #338886 by petekuhn
Thanks, I just wanted to be clear that our problem is not that Paypal is rejecting the payment, our problem is that Paypal is accepting payment when CBSubs is rejecting the sale.  It would be better for us if our members did not get charged by Paypal when CBSubs is not issuing or renewing subscriptions.  I just wanted to make that totally clear, since this case may be a little unusual.  So I'm wondering if the new Paypal interface, or some option in the current interface, could prevent Paypal from completing their acceptance of our members' money if CBSubs has not returned info to Paypal to confirm that CBSubs is issuing or renewing a membership.

• petekuhn
  • petekuhn
2 months 6 days ago #338888 by petekuhn
I also checked the IPN details on the transaction that started this thread, it just shows payment completed, no retries.  I can send details if you want, tell me what to redact for security. Thanks!

• krileon
  • krileon
2 months 6 days ago #338889 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Strange communications error with PayPal
It's not possible for us to do that. PayPal had already handled the payment at that point. We're then requesting the details of that payment from PayPal to verify its authenticity.

The way these systems work is they just redirect you back to the site with a bunch of data in the POST. We can't blindly accept that data as anyone could then just send a POST to the payment process. It's PayPal's API to verify the payment that's failing with a communication error.

We've yet to track down why this randomly happens, but based off PayPal community forums we're not alone in this happening. I'm just taking a guess at whether the newer API would resolve this or not, but I can't say for certain. What's certain is this doesn't appear to be a CBSubs issue directly, but a PayPal one. If you need a more reliable payment provider you could consider switching to Stripe, which you could accept PayPal through Stripe and Stripe will deal with the communication issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• petekuhn
  • petekuhn
2 months 6 days ago #338891 by petekuhn
Thanks!  Consider this closed, I'll check into Stripe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon