Skip to Content Skip to Menu

New uddeIM Install Error-Component Not Working Yet

13 years 1 month ago #177008 by EJoomlapolis1
Replied by EJoomlapolis1 on topic Re: New uddeIM Install Error-Component Not Working Yet
Sir:

1.) Nothing in the documentation of your numerous versions or fixed mentions that you must start with a particular version. If you will read above I did in fact install 1.5. Your own notes say that nothing below 1.6 is supported and to start with 1.7 ("Please upgrade to uddeIM 1.7 using the instructions found in uddeIM 1.7 package first before upgrading to uddeIM 2.5.") so now you are saying to install maybe 1.5,1.4.1.3 data base updates? Do you not see that this is unclear to people other than you?

2.) The README and FAQ do not express the correct essence, procedure or requirements in these versions or a master document to perform a new install of this public offering of yours. The forum help here is in pieces which makes understanding the issue, process and requirement along with implementing very difficult. The goal is to get the program working. This is a responsibility of the person offering it, not simply telling people to refer to the README which does not appear to be compete or clear. Please help. I am trying to work with you to give life to this application, will you please work with me. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 1 month ago #177031 by slabbi
Some facts:

1. The field "autoresponder" (which was added with uddeIM 1.5) is not found in your database tables, so there are following options:
a) You have not used uddeIM 1.5 but a previous version, or
b) you have not updated from a previous version to 1.5 some years ago.
Since nobody except yourself knows your system, my answers were correct. And yes, I asked you to apply also 1.4, 1.3 and maybe 1.2 to 1.5 database upgrades because it seems that you have not applied them three years ago.

2. The README contains a step by step guide how to upgrade to database tables from a certain version to the current version. Usually fot the last 5-6 releases.

3. The FAQ also explains the update process in detail and also explains what the warning message "Important: You have not updated your database! Please refer to the README how to update uddeIM correctly!" means.

4. uddeIM 1.5 is about three years old, there was time enough to update to a newer version.

5. The update process is not that simple, I agree, and still there due to the backward compatibility down to Joomla 1.0. Nevertheless uddeIM has been updated about 200.000 times in the last years from thousands of people.

EOT

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

13 years 1 month ago #177127 by EJoomlapolis1
Replied by EJoomlapolis1 on topic Re: New uddeIM Install Error-Component Not Working Yet
As I stated above- I had installed version 1.5 but you said that anything below 1.6 was not supported and to start with 1.7.
*** I did what you told me. I uninstalled 1.5 and installed 1.7 Per you.

This is all new install. I have just started trying to use your product within the last week.

I now have version 1.7 installed with no prior installs per your instruct. An exact course of action would be appreciated. Your README and FAQ are not clear. Rather than tell people what they haven't done and pointing them to difficult to understand readme and faq, will you consider taking the issue here as stated and providing help?

It is hard to believe that one would expect users to perform updates and amendments to the database which are normally handled by software versions. Many, if not most Joomla! applications do not require this type of work by the user. It is respectfully suggested that you review how the application is version'd, updated and documented from the users point of view in language and style that can be clearly understood and implemented. As the designer you may have the belief that that others know what you know about your program-that may not be the case.

In this specific situation, I need to know exactly what to do now/next from you. I am appealing to you as the readme and faq do not seem to cover this type of situation. If you could help me directly, we could get this application working and both of us move on.

Thank you

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #177139 by slabbi

EJoomlapolis1 wrote: As I stated above- I had installed version 1.5 but you said that anything below 1.6 was not supported and to start with 1.7.
*** I did what you told me. I uninstalled 1.5 and installed 1.7 Per you.

This is all new install.

Uninstalling does not delete database tables. To do a fresh install remove also all database tables. This is explained in the FAQ.

EJoomlapolis1 wrote: I have just started trying to use your product within the last week.

I wonder why you have installed a version that is about three years old. I do not support it any more.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by slabbi.

13 years 1 month ago #177280 by EJoomlapolis1
You list so many versions, updates and hotfixes that it is difficult at best to understand which is the current stable release for the version of Joomla one has. It is recommended that you edit your list to make this clear. You do not explain any of this on the Joomla Extensions page or your download page.

I finally got version 1.7 working yesterday. It was not due to anything you have stated in this forum or your readme's or faq's. I just decided to do one last try and figure it out on my own.

It is suggested that the install process would be much more successful by consolidating your faq and readme into one document.

It would also be very helpful if the current supported version(s) were spelled out in the Joomla Extension article and on your downloads page.

In addition, it would be more helpful if you provided situation specific guidance and help in these forums rather than just referring people to the readme and faq as the issue may not be covered in them.

It is suggested that there is a disconnect between what you as the developer think is clear and what the user actually encounters. Perhaps you can get someone to edit and review the faq/readme to give you a different perspective.

When I finally solved the riddle of installing this, all I needed to know was that the database needs to have every update from every version included. Once that was clear, I did the work and the application became operational.

Final suggestion is to have the version and developer do the database updates rather than have users do this. Once the application installs, it seems to run nicely.

Sincerely,
The following user(s) said Thank You: ebch

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon