Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Secondary User Confirmation

• nant
  • nant
14 years 4 months ago #134706 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Secondary User Confirmation
Sorry I didn't have a chance to reply yet.

I need to study everything first.

Maybe a complete plugin zip I can study?

I would think that what you want is doable without core hacking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jwwicks
  • jwwicks
14 years 4 months ago #134708 by jwwicks
Replied by jwwicks on topic Re:Secondary User Confirmation
Hello Nick,

The whole zip has been posted on the google code project

code.google.com/p/jww-jmla-cb-plg-nxtlvlconfirm/

I'm working on the Installation Wiki entry currently...

I'd love to hear any suggestion for triggering this without a hack. This was my first CB plugin so I might have done some things that could have been accomplished differently/better.

Jw

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. - Albert Einstein

• nant
  • nant
14 years 4 months ago #134719 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Secondary User Confirmation
jwwicks wrote:

Hello Nick,

The whole zip has been posted on the google code project

code.google.com/p/jww-jmla-cb-plg-nxtlvlconfirm/

I'm working on the Installation Wiki entry currently...

I'd love to hear any suggestion for triggering this without a hack. This was my first CB plugin so I might have done some things that could have been accomplished differently/better.

Jw

So the regular process is followed basically and new registrations are placed in the registered group.

But at the same time an email message is sent to another set of users with extra info in it (id field) and a url that they can click on to upgrade this user to a different group (e.g., author?) if they have given the correct id value.

Is this what you are after?

Questions: does the activation have to happen via url?

Could you accept maybe a different activation scenario?

• jwwicks
  • jwwicks
14 years 4 months ago #134724 by jwwicks
Replied by jwwicks on topic Re:Secondary User Confirmation
Hello Nick,

Basically what was required was the Accounting department hands out codes at conferences etc... as well as taking orders from Amazon and 1ShoppingCart etc... So there's no consistent OrderID/Code.

So I send a message with the code and the users email etc... to the Accounting department. They check it and click the link to deny or confirm. The url was the only activation scenario I could see using via CB, did I miss a better path?

With the URL's it's relatively automated. I'd normally check this against a database table but integration with 1ShoppingCart is a nightmare.

This works right now on ZeroDowntimeMigration.com which is the support site for the book. But if I could do it without the core hack I'd love it...

Jw

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. - Albert Einstein

14 years 4 months ago #134726 by toodooloo2004
Replied by toodooloo2004 on topic Re:Secondary User Confirmation
Firstly Thank you jwwicks for providing this code and for your support of it. And secondly thank you Nick for chiming in on this... I never expected the CB big guns to come to the party ;-) so thank you very much for your time!

Would this perhaps work without hacking the core? The 2nd confirmation email is sent providing a standard url asking them to return to a specific page in CB asking them to then click a button etc. However in my case I would need that person to be a public user and not a moderator etc. Also I would need the "to" field in this plugin to be based off a users custom cb_field which would contain the email address of the person they are nominating for a character reference, rather than a user ID - They would enter this email address during registration. The email address they would provide would not be to a registered member so I would need to provide them with a page where they don't have to log in or register themselves. Is this possible without hacking the core? jwwicks solution sends a unique URL which doesn't require the recipient to be registered as a user or moderator.

14 years 4 months ago #134731 by toodooloo2004
Replied by toodooloo2004 on topic Re:Secondary User Confirmation
Hi again jwwicks :)

I just noticed that the comprofiler.php version you are using on your svn is an old one as follows...

* @version $Id: comprofiler.php 609 2006-12-13 17:30:15Z beat $

The one I am currently using is as follows...

* @version $Id: comprofiler.php 884 2010-02-20 11:39:34Z beat $

I have followed your installation guide on your wiki but still can't seem to get the plugin working, would the above be the possible reason why?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon