Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Backend User Profile : "Not Authorized" [solved]

• spfaehler
  • spfaehler
13 years 4 months ago #165627 by spfaehler
Replied by spfaehler on topic Re: Backend User Profile : "Not Authorized"
Andreas_

I would go through your fields and make double sure that you don't have any system fields besides the params field that may have been placed in a tab that is now unpublished. Maybe as a trouble shooting technique, make sure that ALL your fields are published and ALL your tabs are published. Test to see if you still receive the error. If NOT start to un-publish your fields or tabs ONE AT A TIME, checking after each to see if you receive the error again.

If you still receive the error after you publish everything, I would suggest a re-install of the CB Component. Hopefully you haven't already created multiple custom fields. You may also have to remove the sql database. This is what I ultimately ended up doing and lead to my discovery of the params field issue. When I re-installed CB, everything worked fine, then I went through the process of creating my new fields, tabs, and hiding what I wanted to. After EACH one, you should test the system to see if everything still functions as expected. If not, UNDO the process you had just completed. If it works again, you now know what was causing the issue.

Good luck!

.:Seth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DonCablo
  • DonCablo
13 years 4 months ago #165713 by DonCablo
Replied by DonCablo on topic Re: Backend User Profile : "Not Authorized"
Hi Seth

thanks a lot for your recommendation and answer to my question. I`ve tried what you said but with no success so far. What I not did is to re-install CB. My fear is that I might loose all my members or that I cause more trouble....:-). It`s a petty that there is no quick fix for this. Especially because many guys out there are reporting this problem....
In the meanwhile all the best for you!

Greetings
Andreas
www.logobio.de

• spfaehler
  • spfaehler
13 years 4 months ago #165721 by spfaehler
Replied by spfaehler on topic Re: Backend User Profile : "Not Authorized"
I feel your pain my friend.

So - I assume that you have then also created custom fields and tabs already to hold information about your current users?

ONE thought might be to use phpMyAdmin to export the SQL tables with your users info. jos_comprofiler and jos_users. You could then maybe reinstall CB, recreate your custom fields, and then re-import your SQL tables. I have NO idea if this would work as I am not a SQL expert and cannot tell you if CB would use other tables or if they cross reference other tables causing this to not work. Do you have access to a test site where you could try setting up a CB and importing your exported data before you tried it on your live site?

Of course, before you do ANY of this, I would back up your ENTIRE site, and use phpMyAdmin, to export your ENTIRE current database first in case you need to restore life to it's current state.

ANOTHER NOTE: I am NOT a programmer, I am a designer who through the use of Open Source Software has been forced to learn enough to troubleshoot my own site creations. I say this, because I want you to know that I am NOT an expert. Just a regular guy who like yourself, wishes that things would just WORK. ;)

Of course, your best option may be to pay and become a member of Joomapolis, if you haven't already. Then you could submit a support ticket, and someone from Joomapolis may be able to access your sites admin page and help troubleshoot your issue. Although they DO host this Forum and I'm sure monitor it, my guess is that they rely pretty heavily on the community to offer support here and offer their one on one support to members through their ticketing system. At least I only assume this from my experience with other "Public" forums for Open Source, Non-Commercial components.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if it works out, or if you would like any more of my crazy ideas!

.:Seth

13 years 4 months ago #165727 by Aussieinterconnect
Replied by Aussieinterconnect on topic Re: Backend User Profile : "Not Authorized" [solved]
Hi Seth,

Thanks for your input on this. It helps if we all pull together.

I had a registered user lodge a ticket asking for support answers but haven't received anything back at all so we are going to have to look at another product for our client. It is very disappointing becasue the reviews we followed all suggested a perfect fit for the project but no support is about the worst type of product to use we feel.

Cheers

Shane
The following user(s) said Thank You: DonCablo

• boyjahq
  • boyjahq
13 years 3 months ago #169148 by boyjahq
I had a similar issue. In my case, I traced the issue to a backend controller. It would return the error when any of the three fields were missing from the form being saved:

1. Approved
  2. Confirmed
  3. Username

Approved and Confirmed are contained in the field "params". Username is the field "username". These fields need to be on one of the tabs that are part of the profile being edited or the form will not save.

In your case, this might not be the error, simply because there may be further validation logic that I never broke, but you might be breaking. If you have these fields in the form being saved and are still running into problems, you might test a die() statement in the validation logic of the controller. This starts on line 85 of the file administrator/components/com_comprofiler/controller/controller.user.php as part of the method saveUser. A failure to die would indicate that there is a validation error somewhere further down the chain of instructions.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon