Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Jupgrade Frustration on J1.5 to 2.5 migration

• daduts
  • daduts
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #227372 by daduts
Response to posts recommending Jupgrade for Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 CB migrations.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/219360-trying-to-migrate-from-15-cb-fields-not-populating#219735

I don't have the rights to respond in the professional forum so I'll comment here....

"It's included with latest jUpgrade. You don't need to do anything special except run jUpgrade. Haven't used jUpgrade in awhile though so hopefully they didn't remove it. "

Sorry but it's not that simple and this advice has me in the middle of a wild goose chase.

Every time one runs Jupgrade, a fresh Joomla install is required. I've probably done upwards of 10 Joomla installs and Jupgrade/Jupgrade Pro runs and have yet to get my CB database transferred.

For a variety of undocumented reasons, Jupgrade tends to lock up. I was finally able to get Jupgrade Pro to run after upgrading to PHP 5.3 (not required for Joomla 2.5 but needed for Jupgrade) and raising an undocumented "limit" option from 100 to 60000. Once it ran successfully, I found I needed a "comprofiler" extension, which I bought, loaded and ran on yet another fresh Joomla install, only to find it doesn't work. I've currently got a ticket into redcomponent support which is awaiting a reply.

Judging from the redcomponent forums & reviews, my experience is not rare. While Jupgrade appears to work well for some folks, for those who it doesn't, like myself, the frustration level is very high.

I'm sure Joomlapolis had good intentions when using Jupgrade as the recommended migration tool but the unfortunate fact is....it's crap.

I wish I had seen your other posts on a manual approach prior to wasting a lot of time and a little money on the Jupgrade route.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/154-advanced-members-support/220732-manual-migration-cb-fields#225158

I don't know what # of 1.5 to 2.5 or 3.0 migrations you're still expecting but Joomlapolis might want to take renewed ownership of this problem and come up with a better solution than sending your customers to Jupgrade.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by daduts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 5 months ago #227391 by
Can I add...ME Too.

I have spent the entire weekend working on this migration. Purchased the Kunena and Comprofiler plugins on JupgradePro. No documentation what so ever. When I have been able to get the users migrated they come in as pending approval and none of the articles are published.

I used SPUpgrade and it worked like a charm on the users and articles. Just trying to get this CB stuff to move and I can do a manual migration of Kunene, got that bookmarked.

I hate that J! didn't give us a clear upgrade path out of 1.5 and now they dump any support for it. My site is running smooth with it but recent browser updates have changed the way stuff works so I HAVE to upgrade.

I tell ya, it's enough to make me want to swear off Community Builder and just go with Kunena, Uddeim for my needs.

11 years 5 months ago #227422 by
Just to pile on, now I found out that I have to purchase a support subscription for the software that I purchased. I don't mind paying for something that works but this just does not work. I think they would get a lot more loyal customers if they just helped folks out with what they have instead of holding us hostage.

• daduts
  • daduts
11 years 5 months ago #227446 by daduts
hey bob,

i should have mentioned that i already paid for support when i submitted the ticket.

i'll try to keep you posted.

after 1.5 days, ok it was a weekend, i got a reply.

support tech wanted to know how to access cpanel after i had already given them site url and username/passwords. not filling me with confidence.

dave

• daduts
  • daduts
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #227449 by daduts
in the mean time, i've been attempting a manual transfer on a separate installation.

here's what i've done thus far.

- did a fresh j2.5 install with a rockettheme launcher
- loaded Supgrade and transfered jos_comprofiler tables
- installed CB 1.9
- manually configured CB configuration to match old site
- updated access levels for each CB tab and list
- i noted that my custom field data had not transferred. i deleted the xxxx_comprofiler table on the new site and re-transferred that table using php admin export/import
- the 2.5 joomla menu item "user lists" doesn't give me a choice of lists, i worked around this using the joomla "external url" menu item

where i'm at now...

- data and tabs look pretty good with the exception that user images are missing and some fields that require CB plugins are not working. i suspect i may need to re-install those plugins.....that's next on the agenda

perhaps the joomlapolis guys can comment if i'm on the right track.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by daduts.

11 years 5 months ago #227452 by
Thanks Dave. I went through several steps as you mention, some others. Got the users migrated but contact detail info was missing as well as avatars even after copying the appropriate directories. If my users have to reload their Avatars then I don't see a point in dealing with all this. I don't understand how someone can sell software then charge to support it, especially when it's so buggie.

I've been on forums who do not use CB for the user profiles, really seems to work fine so I'm to the point of giving up. I guess I'll write off my lunch money spent as lesson learned.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon