Skip to Content Skip to Menu

How do I put users into 2 different groups?

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205512 by jabrister
Replied by jabrister on topic Re: How do I put users into 2 different groups?
What does the following mean on the CB Field Manager:

Required? Profile? Registration? Searchable?

If I check the Registration? box, is it placed on the CB Login registration form?

What do the others mean/do if checked?

What does the checkmark(1 Line) in green mean?
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by jabrister.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #205556 by krileon

Required?

Means the field must be completed.

Profile?

Means the field is shown on profile.

Registration?

Means the field is shown on registration.

Searchable?

Means the field is searchable if placed on a userlist.

Please review your documentation for further details. You can download it within the Advanced downloads section. All of this is explained in great detail.

How do I apply the auto actions I created?

You don't apply them. They automatically apply if the condition is met at the trigger you specified. In the case of the tutorial they take affect after the user registers.

When I setup the new field type, "select your membership type", there was no option to connect it with the users I created in the user manager (I just created some text choices that are displayed on the CB user profile). How do I connect everything?

CB Auto Actions, depending on trigger, will have no affect on those already registered. For example if the trigger is after registration then those already registered it won't do anything for them and you'll need to fix their usergroups manually from CB > User Management.

Is the CB Conditional: Field condition preferences the place to do it? If so, is there somewhere that talks about that (didn't find anything in the CB Documentation)?

Nope, completely different plugin. It allows conditionally show/hide of fields/tabs based off other fields values. There is no documentation for professional plugins.

If not, what can I do with that (might be a different topic)?

You could show Field A if Field B is equal to the value 123 for example.

btw I'm getting the following error whenever I try to register a new user:
Only users with Super Admin permissions can change other Super Admin user accounts.

Are you trying to give users Super User or Administrator access during registration?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago #205662 by jabrister

Clarification:
When I setup a new field type in Community Builder Field: Edit [Member], "cb_membertypeselected", there was no option to connect it with the user types (e.g. user type 1, user type 2) that I created in the user manager for Joomla ACL Groups. The only results I saw were: the text choices drop down list in the registration form and the choice made displayed on the CB user profile. How do I connect the auto action that places the user in the correct user type in respect to the choice they made during registration (i.e. onAfterUserRegistration <-- is that the correct trigger BTW, the choices in the trigger drop down has AfterUserRegistration as a choice, but I typed in the "on" in front of it because that's what the tutorial said?). I eventually want that choice to be an element of a subscription component (like CB Subs - to charge a fee to one member type and not the other). For now, I want the users brought to different pages depending on their choice (i.e. different tabs, modules, and components displayed on their respective pages).

Is the CB Conditional: Field condition preferences the place to do the above? If so, is there somewhere that talks about that (didn't find anything in the CB Documentation)? If not, what can I do with that (might be a different topic)?

There is no documentation for professional plugins.
So, my hope is the forum will be an adequate substitute.

You don't apply them. They automatically apply if the condition is met at the trigger you specified. In the case of the tutorial they take affect after the user registers.

So how do I set the triggers up such that it places the user into their chosen user group (i.e. which triggers do I use, though it seems I chose the right one)?

-thank you!

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #205700 by krileon

You don't, it reacts to a CB trigger (whichever one you set the auto action to use). It is not manually fired, applied, or anything of the sort.

When I setup a new field type in Community Builder Field: Edit [Member], "cb_membertypeselected", there was no option to connect it with the user types (e.g. user type 1, user type 2) that I created in the user manager for Joomla ACL Groups.

You need to make the match with a conditional in your CB Auto Actions usergroup action then apply the usergroup with that. The tutorial explains how to set this up.

How do I connect the auto action that places the user in the correct user type in respect to the choice they made during registration (i.e. onAfterUserRegistration <-- is that the correct trigger BTW, the choices in the trigger drop down has AfterUserRegistration as a choice, but I typed in the "on" in front of it because that's what the tutorial said?).

Yes that's the correct trigger. No you don't have to type it, just select the "After Registration" trigger from the dropdown.

I eventually want that choice to be an element of a subscription component (like CB Subs - to charge a fee to one member type and not the other). For now, I want the users brought to different pages depending on their choice (i.e. different tabs, modules, and components displayed on their respective pages).

CBSubs can change usergroup based off subscription, but user has no selection as to what usergroup (you configure this in your CBSubs plan).

Is the CB Conditional: Field condition preferences the place to do the above?

It can show/hide tabs/fields based off other fields values. So I suppose you could use it to show/hide stuff based off your usergroup field you created. It doesn't affect modules or anything of the sort, but modules are accesslevel based so you could just create new accesslevels for your usergroups then set the modules for those.

If so, is there somewhere that talks about that (didn't find anything in the CB Documentation)?

Nope, but there's also a video below you can check out which might help.

www.joomlapolis.com/cb-conditional-short-review

So, my hope is the forum will be an adequate substitute.

To an extent. This isn't a school for learning web design, Joomla, etc... We'll explain concepts and give example configurations, but that's about it (unless we suspect a bug, then we investigate or configure our selves to confirm). I try to help as much as I can, but it's a two way relationship; I expect users to take the time to learn Joomla, learn CB, and at least know HTML otherwise I end up spending half my day helping 1 person, which isn't fair to everyone else.

We expect professional subscribers (and developer subscribers, etc.. it's tiered) to be more experienced. It maybe in your best interest to hire someone to help you with setting up your site (we've installation services available, see your Membership tab). The biggest suggestion I have is to read your documentation to get a full grasp on how to use CB.

While we'd like to provide documentation for everything it's just not possible. The reason is the plugins change rapidly with a new release almost every month. This makes it extremely hard to keep the documentation for such plugins constantly up to date. We are working to provide more and more sets of tutorials however to help in configurations. We're also going to be moving a lot of these plugins to CB 2.0 core, which will be fully documented.

So how do I set the triggers up such that it places the user into their chosen user group (i.e. which triggers do I use, though it seems I chose the right one)?

It shows you, parameter by parameter, how to configure these in the tutorial. Navigate to CB > Plugin Management > CB Auto Actions > Auto Actions > New to begin.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jabrister

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205794 by jabrister
Thank you so much. I understand; I do try to make sure I've done adequate research before I post. I do have php, javascript, mysql, html, flash, action script, FORTRAN, and even BASIC experience (when it first emerged) and training (albeit the more I learn, the more I realize I need to learn more). It seems like I'm pretty close to where I want to be (and considering it's been 5 yrs since I started this project) and since I have a little time right now to do things myself, I feel like the cost of setting up what I want (especially considering the redesigns and experimenting) is not quite worth it for me right now (i.e. aren't we talking about $10,000's of dollars). I guess I could give you a list of everything I want thrown together and how I envision it working and see how much it might cost. However, I want to be careful not to deprive myself the understanding needed to maintain my site into the future. Everybody at Joomlapolis has been fantastic and I fully understand how much out of the way you guys have gone for me. Thank you; and thank you for the great company I've been a part of for the past 5 years.

Nick's comments on post #131317 make it sound like CB Subs is something I should also try out to solve my multiple user registration with different landing pages for all. Please send me the CB Subs documentation if you will to [REMOVED] and/or continue to make any suggestions you feel will help toward the solution to multiple user registrations with different landing pages (or even different CB tab layouts would work for now) for the different registrars. The previous post, after a quick glance through, seem like I have something a little more tangible to work with. I'm not sure what has happened after I completed the tutorial. I see that what 'user type' the client selected is displayed in their 'user status' box. But I don't see how that was connected by anything in the backend, like what user type the registered user is. Looking at the Joomla User Manager it only shows that the users are 'registered' and not a part of either of the new groups they selected from the cb field type drop down menu.

So following the tutorial: I've setup 2 user types in the user manager, created a new field type in CB (e.g. a drop down menu with 2 choices - that i put as the same names as the user types), and created 2 auto actions in CB Autoactions (1 for each group). I fail to see the result, other than I have a 'member type' entry in the 'user status box' that is right in line with what I set up for the field type. I chose 'user status' as the community builder field but the tutorial does not mention what (or, why) to choose for the tab and 'user status' seemed appropriate. The end result has not placed the user in any group other than registered. Am I supposed to have the new field include some sort of reference to [cb_usertype] that is referenced in the 'conditional' in CB Auto Action?

How is access (e.g. to pages, modules, ect...) for the teacher, student, and parent controlled by this; or, how can I use this to control access?

-Thank you
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by krileon.

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205813 by jabrister
:woohoo: Wow! I don't know why (or I know exactly why now), but it worked. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I would still like to check out the CB Subs documentation before I get it:
Nick's comments on post #131317 make it sound like CB Subs is something I should also try out to solve my multiple user registration with different landing pages for all. Please send me the CB Subs documentation if you will to [REMOVED] and/or continue to make any suggestions you feel will help toward the solution to multiple user registrations with different landing pages (or even different CB tab layouts would work for now) for the different registrars.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by krileon.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon