Skip to Content Skip to Menu

How do I put users into 2 different groups?

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago #204759 by jabrister
Replied by jabrister on topic Re: How do I put users into 2 different groups?
I got the following 500 Error when trying to insert a CB Field Insert in Community Builder Field: New where I wanted to place the multiple group names that the new registration form would provide for the user to select from:

Joomla!
500 - An error has occurred.

Table 'db11788_mysite.jab_cb_profiletypes' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT a.id, a.title, a.alias, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.state, a.default, a.created, a.created_by, a.ordering, a.language,l.title AS language_title,uc.name AS editor,ua.name AS author_name FROM jab_cb_profiletypes AS a LEFT JOIN `jab_languages` AS l ON l.lang_code = a.language LEFT JOIN jab_users AS uc ON uc.id=a.checked_out LEFT JOIN jab_users AS ua ON ua.id = a.created_by WHERE (a.state = 0 OR a.state = 1) ORDER BY a.title asc Table 'db11788_mysite.jab_cb_profiletypes' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT a.id, a.title, a.alias, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.state, a.default, a.created, a.created_by, a.ordering, a.language,l.title AS language_title,uc.name AS editor,ua.name AS author_name FROM jab_cb_profiletypes AS a LEFT JOIN `jab_languages` AS l ON l.lang_code = a.language LEFT JOIN jab_users AS uc ON uc.id=a.checked_out LEFT JOIN jab_users AS ua ON ua.id = a.created_by WHERE (a.state = 0 OR a.state = 1) ORDER BY a.title asc LIMIT 0, 20 Table 'db11778_referencesrus.jab_cb_profiletypes' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT a.id, a.title, a.alias, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.state, a.default, a.created, a.created_by, a.ordering, a.language,l.title AS language_title,uc.name AS editor,ua.name AS author_name FROM jab_cb_profiletypes AS a LEFT JOIN `jab_languages` AS l ON l.lang_code = a.language LEFT JOIN jab_users AS uc ON uc.id=a.checked_out LEFT JOIN jab_users AS ua ON ua.id = a.created_by WHERE (a.state = 0 OR a.state = 1) ORDER BY a.title asc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago #204760 by jabrister
The registration field can be a drop-down single select field with values group1, group2, etc.

Please explain how to accomplish that.

Then based on selected value you can use CB Auto Actions as in the tutorial to add user to group you want.

The CB Auto Actions Tutorial is a little confusing and is missing some explanations (e.g. which action should I trigger after what?; What does the following mean & when should I use it?: UPDATE `#__comprofiler` SET `approved`= '0' WHERE `user_id` = '[user_id]'; how do I get a user_ID?). The tutorial doesn't contain the issue I'm trying to deal with, having a field on the registration page that has a drop down that users can choose their user type and then based on that choice be brought to their respective category's user page that will be different for the different users. This is what I'm trying to accomplish.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #204794 by krileon

I got the following 500 Error when trying to insert a CB Field Insert in Community Builder Field: New where I wanted to place the multiple group names that the new registration form would provide for the user to select from:

No idea where it's coming from. Please enable debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration. Once done try again to cause the error again. There should be a call stack below the error showing what files it was traced back to.

Please explain how to accomplish that.

Please read your documentation regarding field management. You're just creating a basic dropdown select field from Field Management.

The CB Auto Actions Tutorial is a little confusing and is missing some explanations (e.g. which action should I trigger after what?; What does the following mean & when should I use it?: UPDATE `#__comprofiler` SET `approved`= '0' WHERE `user_id` = '[user_id]'; how do I get a user_ID?). The tutorial doesn't contain the issue I'm trying to deal with, having a field on the registration page that has a drop down that users can choose their user type and then based on that choice be brought to their respective category's user page that will be different for the different users. This is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I've no idea what tutorial you're reading but the one Nick has already provided you explains exactly how to do this. The only exception is it doesn't explain how to create the field as it's just a basic dropdown select field.

There's not much more we can explain other then doing it for you, which we don't do. I suggest maybe hiring a contract developer to implement it for you if it's becoming too difficult. Below is the tutorial again. Under "Solution / Example" it provides you exact auto action setup.

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18237-assigning-usergroup-based-on-cb-field-value

You can find your CB documentation within the Advanced downloads section.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205498 by jabrister
The only exception is it doesn't explain how to create the field as it's just a basic dropdown select field.

Thanks Kyle (& Nick). I'm getting it . So the field (or in my case, the drop down menu) will be created in CB Field Manager; right? I have the users I want created and now I need to insert the drop down menu to choose which user the registrar wants to be, in the registration page. I will look in the CB documentation under field management...
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by jabrister.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205504 by krileon
Please read my previous posts as I've already explained how. It's just a dropdown as created in Field Management.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by krileon.

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205511 by jabrister
Thanks Kyle (& Nick). I'm getting it :).

Then based on selected value you can use CB Auto Actions as in the tutorial to add user to group you want.

So, I created the field (e.g. a drop down menu) in CB Field Manager. Prior, I created the 2 users I wanted in the user manager. I see the drop down in the registration page. I have also created 2 auto actions (following the tutorial www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18237-assigning-usergroup-based-on-cb-field-value ). One for group 1 and one for group 2.

How do I apply the auto actions I created?

When I setup the new field type, "select your membership type", there was no option to connect it with the users I created in the user manager (I just created some text choices that are displayed on the CB user profile). How do I connect everything?

Is the CB Conditional: Field condition preferences the place to do it? If so, is there somewhere that talks about that (didn't find anything in the CB Documentation)? If not, what can I do with that (might be a different topic)?

-thanks a million-

btw I'm getting the following error whenever I try to register a new user:
Only users with Super Admin permissions can change other Super Admin user accounts.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by jabrister.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon