Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Show Field Description

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
6 years 11 months ago #299221 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Show Field Description
Hmm, even Protostar does this. What setting do you recommend for the layout? 1 line with title, or 2 lines?

Are you certain Protostar is a good example? I can adjust my template but don't know what to adjust if I can't see it correctly somewhere.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 11 months ago #299227 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Show Field Description

Hmm, even Protostar does this

Then you've something else installed adding CSS that's forcing input elements to block elements. You'll need to right click and inspect element on the checkbox then review the CSS in your browsers developer console to see what could be doing that. If you're adding a div or p element around the label or description then that'd also explain why it's pushed to a new line.

1 line with title, or 2 lines?

Whichever you want. That just changes how the field title and its input are displayed together. It has nothing to do with the label next to a checkbox field.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
6 years 11 months ago #299232 by Spiralmind
That's odd, how can I input text into the description without a p or div? JCE adds this. I need to be able to format these.

If the page is wide enough for the entire paragraph it is next to it. Only when the text wraps does it go to another line.

I am seeing a new issue I did not realize until now. How can this description be shown on the frontend public side? I can't seem to get that to show up except in the profile edit area. I can see the field name only with "yes" under it.
Attachments:

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
6 years 11 months ago #299234 by Spiralmind
As for showing it on the frontend I am usig the replacement method you showed me in a custom HTML module to show the tabs. Just wanted to be remind you of this.

My real issue is I have links that need to be shown for reference when filling in the profile. So unless the description can be shown on both places using the substitution method I'll need to use Custom HTML fields and checkboxes. Hopefully it can so I don't have to create another set of fields.

If absolutely last resort I suppose I could use the Profile Value Layout to do this too, right?

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 11 months ago #299271 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Show Field Description

That's odd, how can I input text into the description without a p or div? JCE adds this. I need to be able to format these.

Add a span element around it or configure JCE to not do that.

I am seeing a new issue I did not realize until now. How can this description be shown on the frontend public side? I can't seem to get that to show up except in the profile edit area. I can see the field name only with "yes" under it.

Description only shows in profile edit and registration. You need to use a multicheckbox and set your description as the label if you want it displayed on profile view. Your alternative is to add it to the respective layout when using the layout override parameters while editing the field. The best way to do this is just use a multicheckbox with the label being a language string.

Value: 1
Label: DESCRIBE_EDUCATION_CATS

You'd then use a language override for DESCRIBE_EDUCATION_CATS and put all your HTML/TEXT in the override.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
6 years 11 months ago #299290 by Spiralmind
Hello, I guess I am going to prefer the custom override layout then, the questions are very long and some have links in them. Not really going to work as the field name this way. Using the Profile Value Layout override with HTML and placeholders gives me the best control for display.

My question is will this work using a CB Content like I am planning?

Yes, you can actually just use tab substtutions in a Custom HTML field and substitute in those entire tabs contents. Example as follows.

[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_1" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_2" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_3" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_4" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_5" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_6" /]

Moderators: beatnantkrileon