Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Multiple Tabs Profile Edit but Single Tab in Profile View

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
3 years 10 months ago #321935 by Spiralmind
Hello, is it possible to split up the fields into tabs for editing the profile but when viewing the profile all the fields output the data in a single tab to view?

I am trying to split the editing into sections and would like them all combined and visible for viewing.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #321960 by krileon
Yup, move the fields to their respective section tabs and set their tab positions to a not shown on profile position. Next create new tabs that are for display purposes only. Now you should be able to just use Custom HTML fields to substitute your fields into those display only tabs.

In the future we hopefully can improve this further by reversing how tabs and fields are setup. Ideally a tab should just be a collection of fields. So it'd work similar to a field group field where you select what fields to display in the tab. Fields would then no longer actually be assigned to 1 specific tab and could be output as many times as needed where needed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by krileon.

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
3 years 10 months ago #321962 by Spiralmind
Hello, that's also great news. Any idea if this might be added in the near future?

If not, where are the instructions on creating those Custom HTML fields for me to use to display this?

Thank you

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 10 months ago #321966 by krileon

Any idea if this might be added in the near future?

Nope, this won't happen until we've done massive rewrites throughout core CB. I would not expect such functionality anytime soon. We'll be gradually rewriting all of core CB this coming year, utilizing Symfony components, and implementing Twig for our template engine.

If not, where are the instructions on creating those Custom HTML fields for me to use to display this?

You'd just create Custom HTML fields and substitute in your fields. See the below tutorial on how to use substitutions.

www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/279-community-builder/tutorials/18353-using-substitutions-throughout-cb

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
3 years 10 months ago #321968 by Spiralmind
OK, that's fine, I'll do it this other way.

Will rewriting the core impact any current setups? The site I made with this is crazy complex and I forgot most of what I did and am not wanting to redo any of it if possible.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 10 months ago #321970 by krileon

Will rewriting the core impact any current setups?

No idea. We haven't even started on implementing Symfony components. It depends a lot on how well we can maintain the legacy API layer so things work as they do now, but with a new engine under the hood so to speak. We keep legacy API layers for a full major version. So with CB 3.x the CB 1.x legacy layer will be gone, but will have a CB 2.x legacy layer.

The site I made with this is crazy complex and I forgot most of what I did and am not wanting to redo any of it if possible.

No one should need to redo anything. We'll have migration same as we did with CB 1.x to CB 2.x. It's possible some parameters may go away if they aren't necessary anymore, but I can't really say much beyond this until we get started on all this which we plan to as part of next years main development focus.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon