Skip to Content Skip to Menu

YouTube Plugin

• joomladude
  • joomladude
18 years 2 months ago #19054 by joomladude
YouTube Plugin was created by joomladude
Hi All,
Is there a plugin which will allow members to stream YouTube videos to their profiles.

1. Don't look at me, I am not as good in coding as I am in "demanding". :evil:

2. Streaming a YouTube video can save $$$ at very busy site on bandwidth and storage costs.

3. In some point my website has to be able to compete with myspace.com :silly:

4. I am a big fan of the Opensource mevement and will definitely click the "Donate" button on your site (If any!).

Cheers,

JD

**** UPDATE ****

Thanks to everyone on this thread who has posted comments, here is what I've so far discovered:

A - Free of charge -

1 - Video Egg/CB Integration - This is a component and a CB Plugin submitted by Dionysus which can be downloaded by clicking here www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,34134/catid,13/limit,6/limitstart,6/

2 - Seyret - This is an advanced Component/Module/CB Plugin solution which can be downloaded at www.joomla-alem.com but requires registration for downloads (you can find the cb plug in the forum) and if you get to use it, please make sure to click that donation button on the side. (Thanks to ramonskie for pointing this out)

3 - A JCE editor mambot plugin done by pointri which is available on this thread for download from his posting and generally works within the Joomla! content. To best of my knowlede, this option can only be used with CB by creating a "creative tab" which allows users to access the JCE editor and include instructions on how to use the plugin to insert the video, which tends to be a bit complicated.

B - Donationware - A basic CB plugin by Flipsider which he is asking for a $2.00 donation. This is according to him a very basic tab which allows users to enter a video code from YouTube to integrate a video stream in their user's profile.

C - Commercial Solutions - Mike's component and CB plugin which apparenetly due to the comments by its users is a well rounded product and is selling for US$35.00.

Post edited by: joomladude, at: 2007/04/06 06:39

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Raj
  • Raj
18 years 2 months ago #19068 by Raj
Replied by Raj on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Try creating a Creative Tab...your users can paste in the video codes on the Creative Tab. There is a tutorial available...search the forum for "Creative Tab" Yes, it is probably not as good as a plug in, but it works.

Raj

• joomladude
  • joomladude
18 years 2 months ago #19071 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Thanks Raj for the hint. Creative Tab looks interesting but pretty basic. Maybe someone who is familiar with making plugins can use it as a base.

The thing is that YouTube is very hot right now and if you run a community site almost all members ask about having the capability to get a few video feeds on their profiles as we sort of promote the presonal profiles as "member homepages"!

So the ultimatum we have from our members is pretty much "either YouTube or DownTheTube!"
Cheers,

JD

• jeffason
  • jeffason
18 years 2 months ago #19080 by jeffason
Replied by jeffason on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
what exactly are you wanting?

With the creative tab, people can post the you tube text, and it ~should~ work.

• joomladude
  • joomladude
18 years 2 months ago #19101 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Here is the Idea:

Members will have a tab on their profile such as "My Videos". Then, just like in Nant's Gallery, they will add YouTube videos to this tab up to the limit number (e.g. 5 or 10 per user) which Admin can set at plugin's installation time.

However, the difference between this plugin and nant's gallery is that instead of uploading the video files to my site, members will enter the YouTube link and the video ID number for the videos in a URL box and save. The video links are always provided next to every video on YouTube site.

There are already a few excellent Joomla! mambots out there which will do a similar work, but they have no CB integration and are not intended for front-end users. Here is a link to a great one:

extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,812/Itemid,35/

As I previously mentioned, by using the YouTube, site owners can save a bundle on their bandwidth and storage costs and site members can upload their own videos to their YouTube account before streaming it to their CB profile.

Also, some kind of administrative control will be desirable.
Thanks for the attention.
Cheers,

JD

• gypsydogg
  • gypsydogg
17 years 11 months ago #23380 by gypsydogg
Replied by gypsydogg on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
check out allvideos for joomla www.joomlaworks.gr/ This would be a great plug-in for CB. As of now it's only for content pages. It doesn't seem like it would be to hard enable it for cb or even for the new xspf player that is in beta

gypsydogg

Moderators: beatnantkrileon