17 years 8 months ago #29790 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
wow....*speechless*...i'm flattered:blush: :woohoo:

and you got the "tired" part right :laugh:

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joomladude
  • joomladude
17 years 8 months ago #29817 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
My goodness! People! Take it easy now! Stick to the subject and stop trying to change this issue from a discussion about variety of the options to a personal attack mayham!

I even appreciate if people try to put together teams to quite the objections about their approach to things, but I rathter not to get involved with it.

I am just going to point out one thing that how thnigs can get ugly when people reply without reading and understanding someones point and even add fulse claims to distract the unsuspecting readers from the main point. So, here is a sample from "aminisme"'s post:

You labeled the folks who bought his plugins as a "herd", are you trying to imply we are all brainless buffoons because we're following the crowd? (i see you've removed that comment. good on you!)

OK. If the comment was already removed, how would you know about it? Did you hear it from someone else or you have the habbit of reading and memorizing all the postings on this forum?

But No! The reality is that my reference to the "herd" is still there as I do not generally modify my postings except for correcting the spelling issues. I used that word in response to Mike's comment which says:

but I simply do not have the time to "support" the masses

which I guess is being practiced in the industry but not very wise for a commercial company to admit publically! or at least I never heard anyone saying it this clear but certainly his right to say and my right to express my opinion as:

As per for me, I am financially OK and can afford coughing up a lot more than $30.00 when I really need something, but I am also a big supporter of the developers who do consider the majority of the users and don't look at the masses as a cattle herd!

Which you simply can see had nothing to do with calling buyers of Mike plugins "cattles". That is a shame to twist the obvious for any kind of gain.

As per doing the programing myself, again it is a "cliche" response commonly from commercial developers who fall short on logic when it comes to confronting with more scruitiny. Nevertheles, it is a childish and unprofessional way of handling things. It is like telling a movie critc to become a filmmaker if he doesn't like what he sees on screen. That is not a productive way of handling things.

Guys! This is not war. Please leave this subject alone for other developers who'd like to take this challenge up. That's all I am asking for.
Cheers,

JD

• joomladude
  • joomladude
17 years 8 months ago #29819 by joomladude
Just to wrap this unnecessary argument up, please if you have any comments about Mike's plugin (Praise or Else) or would like to purchase or get more information about this fine plugin, post it in the plugins' specific discussion thread at:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,27834/catid,13/

And please share or announce all your thoughts and or new developments based on the concept of a video plugin to integrate streaming video services (free of charge or commercial) with CB here, if you like.
Keep up the good work.

JD

• joomladude
  • joomladude
17 years 8 months ago #29821 by joomladude
pointri wrote:

Well, I haven't seen a commercial version of what I had in mind see the light of day yet, so I decided to take some initiative.

For those going the way of using JCE to make "creative tabs" to embed YouTube video in CB profiles, I came across this nice and simple plugin for TinyMCE this morning, and decided to wrap it up so that it can be used with JCE 1.1.0 beta 2. The proof of concept is attached. Just be sure to follow the instructions after installing and it should be good to go. I'll see about throwing permissions in there like most other JCE plugins if there's enough interest. It's licensed under the LGPL.

Thanks pointri,
Your plugin is a bit different than what I was looking for, but never the less a great idea for many webmasters to easily integrate the video in their content whil using JCE editor.

Keep up the good work.

JD

• sdhiphop
  • sdhiphop
17 years 8 months ago #29883 by sdhiphop
Replied by sdhiphop on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Yo Mike, Great component and plugin!

Well worth the 35 boodles! Which is actually not alot of cash damn I spend more money on gas and coffee. It's all goood!

Thanks for being generous with your WORK! These days time is worth more than gold. I wish i had more time to trade off for more money. God knows I Sure do need it.

As for options, Ive been looking for the video based site i'm working on, and there's not much out there.

You could use this: extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1628/Itemid,35/

it aint for CB but it's FREE!

you could use the All Videos one and it's FREE, but not for CB

I went to find a programmer to maybe do a plugin for me and he wanted a grip of money.

Maybe, wait for nants video addition to the Gallery
but that one should be some kind of subscription fee.

It's all about the SAND BOX plugin for CB

Post edited by: sdhiphop, at: 2007/01/25 17:55

• joomladude
  • joomladude
17 years 8 months ago #29889 by joomladude
Thanks sdhiphop for the feedback and the pointers. I am familar with those Joomla! add-ons and they are all very fine tools. As the matter of fact, the idea of a video plugin for CB came to me after I started using the "All Videos" mambot which works like a charm within the Joomla! content but does not integrate with CB.

As I reapeatedly mentioned before, I have no problem with paying for plugins but I guess all of us have the right to make their own limits on how much they want to spend on an add-on, so having different options for a product used by thousands and thousands of people is kind of essential.

The CB subscription is a great idea and entitles the subscriber to obtain access to a wealth of options and programs and for what it is ($33.00 Annual), it is both affordable for the most of the users and necessary for the CB group to continue with their development efforts and sort of inline with my suggestion that there should be a continuous source of revenue for the core project programmers.

I don't see any conflict if for important add-ons such as a video streaming plugin considering the importance of this option for many community and social sites, we have all different options (Free, Donation, Paid) available to this community.

Having a commercial product available does not guarantee the continuous production and availability of the updates for a product as I've seen commercial developers who have stopped production and support services after a while due to reasons such as dealing with too many assignments at school, getting married, having childrean, travelling, and so on...

It needs to be realized that if a developer drops a project and he is the sole source of a well needed resource, many productions will suffer and I personally seen too many such conditions.

AS for now, I've seen the following 3 attempts to make a plugin available in this forum:

Commercial Solutions - Mike's component and CB plugin which apparenetly due to the comments by its users is a well rounded product and is selling for US$35.00.

Donationware - A basic CB plugin by Flipsider which he is asking for a $2.00 donation. This is according to him a very basic tab which allows users to enter a video code from YouTube to integrate a video stream in their user's profile.

Free of charge -

1 - Seyret - This is an advanced Component/Module/CB Plugin solution which can be downloaded at www.joomla-alem.com but requires registration for downloads (you can find the cb plug in the forum) and if you get to use it, please make sure to click that donation button on the side. (Thanks to ramonskie for pointing this out)

2 - A JCE editor mambot plugin done by pointri which is available on this thread for download from his posting and generally works within the Joomla! content. To best of my knowlede, this option can only be used with CB by creating a "creative tab" which allows users to access the JCE editor and include instructions on how to use the plugin to insert the video, which tends to be a bit complicated.

I'll be summing up my report on more options as they become available.
Cheers,

JD

Post edited by: joomladude, at: 2007/03/30 18:29

Moderators: beatnantkrileon