Skip to Content Skip to Menu

YouTube Plugin

• p9939068
  • p9939068
17 years 9 months ago #27918 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Hi JD
My reply wasn't meant to rebuke what you said at all. In fact I fully understand your point.

However, the 2 plugins i wrote were not necessarily just to enhance CB. Take a look at PlaxoInvite and AJAX Sandbox. Could i have made it into a standalone Joomla component? I certainly can, and lots of people have requested that too. Does that mean I can then price it however I want?

Anyway, I decided to develop it purely as a CB plugin, not because it's easier (as it is actually more tedious cos of the requirement to integrate with CB ), but because I myself use CB, I know CB users like me have such a need for such plugins, and by making it a CB plugin, it is my form of "returning" to the community as a whole (other than donating).

And I quote myself:

Regarding the worry of slowing down the opensource community, I've received many (and I really mean many) enquiries from non-CB users who wish to convert to CB because they need the functionalities of my plugins, so I think some good is coming from that

In view of that, I have never imagined that my plugins could've encouraged or "converted" people to CB, so like i said, I think some good is coming off from that ;)

Again, I understand what you're saying, and these are just my views (as a developer). :)

Regards, Mike

Post edited by: p9939068, at: 2006/12/30 07:47

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 9 months ago #27979 by KurtSteiner
Replied by KurtSteiner on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
hi,

nice discussion :S

In fact i dont know any other industry than the software one, where somone is willing to work for nothing. Have you ever ask a roofer or painter to gives there work for free to everybody?

like everything in the real world : Free will

Anyway you can't change a developers mind, because he have a free will too.

I took some of mikes work - and i'm happy with that.

I decided with my free will that the need for a VERY GOOD SOLUTION (offered by Mike) was it worth to pay the price.

And i got excellent support when i run into trouble. Which i expected because he took my money.

When i took a charge free solution, the developer won't work a whole night on my request - i'm forced to learn by my self or hope for help from the community.

But this way only works well when you give your time back to these community to help the other noobs too.

sunny regards from Germany

BERND (Kurt Steiner)

• joomladude
  • joomladude
17 years 9 months ago #27989 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Ah. I don't know. This plugin has been released for a few days now but everybody is behaving like they've been using it for years now and are totally satisfied with everything about it. Good for you!

I for one know that not every commercial plugin developer necessarily provides a better service than "free of charge" developers and I see this as somehow insulting to those developers like CB team who provide a great support free of charge to this community.

Guys, let's not commercialize the subject and stick to finding a solution which suits most users on this site and not only a small percentage who are able to pay up a premium for certain services, after all this is one of the reasons that Opensource is so popular.

I appreciate the feedback and acknowledge the hard work of developers like Mike, but let's lay off the commercial feedback and stick to the main subject of giving opportunity to other developers who may be interested in providing an alternative and don't mind "catering to masses".

As per for me, I am financially OK and can afford coughing up a lot more than $30.00 when I really need something, but I am also a big supporter of the developers who do consider the majority of the users and don't look at the masses as a cattle horde.

As per Mike's reply, I do appreciate his hard work and look forward to see him coming up with more products to help out with expanding the CB capabilities. However, I will be more eager to pay for the plugin if it is guaranteed that a percentage of the sales will be donated to CB project. Once the announcement is made, you can definitely count on me as a loyal customer.
Cheers,

JD

• p9939068
  • p9939068
17 years 9 months ago #27995 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
joomladude wrote:

However, I will be more eager to pay for the plugin if it is guaranteed that a percentage of the sales will be donated to CB project.
JD

Heh i've already donated to CB, but what you're saying is like asking all joomla developers to give a part of their earnings to the Joomla team. I dunno what to say to that...:)

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

• joomladude
  • joomladude
17 years 9 months ago #28008 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
p9939068 wrote:

Heh i've already donated to CB, but what you're saying is like asking all joomla developers to give a part of their earnings to the Joomla team. I dunno what to say to that...:)

Hi Mike,
That is just my opinion, but why not? Just think of it: If everyone who makes money based on providing products/services for an opensource project would systematically put a part of it back into the core projects, wouldn't we be having a stronger, healthier system?

Again, this issue is straying us away from talking about the solution itself. I see that your solution is available now as a commercial plugin and apparently is working fine for users at this point, but I also like to see alaternatives being developed as I believe in competition and even in Opensource community we all can see that projects which compete with each other tend to do a better job of providing product and services.
Keep up the good work.

JD

• pointri
  • pointri
17 years 9 months ago #29410 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Well, I haven't seen a commercial version of what I had in mind see the light of day yet, so I decided to take some initiative.

For those going the way of using JCE to make "creative tabs" to embed YouTube video in CB profiles, I came across this nice and simple plugin for TinyMCE this morning, and decided to wrap it up so that it can be used with JCE 1.1.0 beta 2. The proof of concept is attached. Just be sure to follow the instructions after installing and it should be good to go. I'll see about throwing permissions in there like most other JCE plugins if there's enough interest. It's licensed under the LGPL.

Note: It'll only work if you're using JCE Version 1.1.0 beta 2, which is the latest version.

Attachment youtube.zip not found

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.
Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon