Skip to Content Skip to Menu

YouTube Plugin

• Flipsider
  • Flipsider
17 years 9 months ago #29416 by Flipsider
Replied by Flipsider on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
does anyone still need a YouTube plugin?
I can give it for $2 just pm me.

De-Karma me... if you dare...
CB Xbox Gamercard Plugin (Gone] - CB Xbox Gamercard Module (Gone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joomladude
  • joomladude
17 years 8 months ago #29637 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Now I see we are getting somewhere. I'll be more than happy to donate the reasonable fee and I think many others also will do the same.

Can you post some specs here so we can also compare the options so maybe others will be interested in acquiring your plugin?
Cheers

JD

• Switch
  • Switch
17 years 8 months ago #29642 by Switch
Replied by Switch on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
In my opinion, $30 is more than reasonable for the plugin.

Suggesting that people who develop plugins shouldn't charge as much as components because they only enhance CB and CB is free is a bad argument. Joomla! is given away for free, one could argue that components merely enhance the functionality of Joomla! and therefore they shouldn't charge.

$30 really isn't that much. You would expect to pay hundreds of dollars if you hired someone to do what Mike has done. He is offering his plugins at really low prices and offering support for them too! I think what he is doing is great.

Interestingly, if you are so hot on cheap plugins, why don't you pay top dollar for a developer to do your plugins, then release them back to the community for a buck?

OR... Learn to code your own plugins and release them for free?

As soon as my work load clears up I plan to take a look at some of Mike's components (they really enhance CB) and will write some of my own that have not yet been developed.

In the grand scheme of things, you could buy all of Mike's plugins for half the price of phpfox, and have a site which has many more features than offered by a piece of $300 software.

• p9939068
  • p9939068
17 years 8 months ago #29652 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
Wow Switch, I can't say how much I appreciate that :) Many people in the opensource community relate "opensource" to "freeware" for some reason, but that is plain wrong. I read a post about developing commercial components for Joomla somewhere in Joomla's forums, and a developer mentioned that Joomla's community is just too "spoilt". I have to say I can't agree more.

To suggest that "everyone who makes money based on providing products/services for an opensource project would systematically put a part of it back into the core projects" is just ludicrous. It does not make open source stronger. It discourages people from picking up the core project in the first place. No Joomla commercial component developer donates a fixed percent of his earnings to Joomla. No Unix admin donates a part of his salary to Unix. No PHP programmer pays a percent of his earnings to php.net. No MySQL DBA does the same either. There are countless opensource and free projects out there - *countless* - and to expect all commercial products that involve these free projects to donate a part of their earnings back to the core projects will totally defeat the whole meaning of "open source".

My projects are not just plain CB plugins. They serve a purpose, depending on which plugin. The purpose they serve is the resultant intellectual product of my work. CB is the platform on which these purposes lie on. The same goes for Beat's subscription plugin, which is the intellectual product of his work. It's just like Joomla is a software that provides a CMS solution, resting on the PHP "platform". Do you expect the Joomla team to return a part of their donations to PHP.net every month, since we can safely argue that Joomla "merely" enhances the capability of PHP?

Anyway, just my 2 cents :)

-edit- The price of the Sandbox plugin is $35 actually ;)

Post edited by: p9939068, at: 2007/01/23 08:45

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

• mediaguru
  • mediaguru
17 years 8 months ago #29686 by mediaguru
Replied by mediaguru on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
I HAD YouTube videos workin in my creative tab. Now they don't Now it's just the raw code showing in the tab instead of the video.

Any ideas on why it would work and suddently not?

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

• p9939068
  • p9939068
17 years 8 months ago #29691 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:YouTube Plugin
CB 1.0.2 fixed some security issues, including the problem of allowing users to enter html tags in a standard CB text field (which needless to say was a major flaw).

However as far as I can remember, there is a fix that is "in-built" in 1.0.2 that allows admins to specify which tags as "safe" via ue_config.php. This is not advisable though (as mentioned above). Search the forums abit (it's a long time ago), the answer's out there ;)

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

Moderators: beatnantkrileon