Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Plugin - Friends Updates

• krileon
  • krileon
16 years 3 weeks ago #75379 by krileon
Plugin - Friends Updates was created by krileon
I'm developing a plugin that'll display updates of your friends activity. I'm doing this by using the code provided from the ajax shoutbox and shoutbox announcer.

So far I've got it to display the tab as well as display the shouts. I'm working on cleaning up the code then will begin to make it so only the profile owner can see the tab as well as only friends will be shouted to the owner.

This may take a bit of time, but I am also going to integrate other components into it so you'll be able to view your friends activity.

I should have a working beta by the end of the day.. I hope, lol.

It will be a standalone plugin without requiring the shoutbox component to be installed. Mambots will likely be required to shout other activity not part of CB.

I plan to keep it basic. The shouter will be the users name and display messages such as "Bob: updated their profile." or "Jane: added a new classified."

Things of that nature. Names also link directly to the persons profile. My site is designed to encourage users to visit profiles. Thus I will not have links directly to said classified if posted, but rather give users incentive to visit said users profile to see added classified. If you want it any other way then you're welcome to change it how you see fit.

I'll post updates of my progress as I go.

*update-9:37am sep24* I've now merged the needed functions of ajax shoutbox, shoutbox announcer, and a plugin. They're all combined into 1 and require no additional components/plugins.

*update-11:19am sep24* I've got everything taken care of except assigning userids to each shout. If anyone more experienced with SQL can lend a hand in doing this. Then I'm open for suggestions. I've already created the field for the ids. I just can't get the shouts to plug the data in. Field name is nameid.
*edit*
Nevermind. I got it, lol.

*update* Ok everything is done but for finishing up the query. It'll pull only your friends updates and everything, but does NOT delete old entires. I need to figure out how to add that to the query and I need help to do so. Here's the query:

*Update*
See latest posts for plugin download.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2008/09/25 13:46

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2008/09/26 15:07

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 weeks ago #75382 by steveometer
Replied by steveometer on topic Re:Friends Updates
sounds exactly like the user feed i have

steve-o-meter.com/userfeed

SoM

• krileon
  • krileon
16 years 3 weeks ago #75383 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Friends Updates
I like yours, but it's not free lol. Broke enough as is and need this function so I've gotta do something. =D

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

16 years 3 weeks ago #75390 by steveometer
Replied by steveometer on topic Re:Friends Updates
maybe we can work out a deal, if you help with coding stuff and other issues id give ya a copy

SoM

• krileon
  • krileon
16 years 3 weeks ago #75393 by krileon
steveometer wrote:

maybe we can work out a deal, if you help with coding stuff and other issues id give ya a copy

SoM

Good offer, but then others won't be able to enjoy it as well. Also I'm not experienced enough to be poking around advanced coding. I'm good at hacking up what's already done, but coding from scratch I'm not that good yet. Queries still get me all confused, lol.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

• krileon
  • krileon
16 years 3 weeks ago #75407 by krileon
Anyone want to help with a query?

I'm trying to get it to query the shouts and check their IDs against member IDs then check against their reference IDs to determine if they're friends or not.

This is what I have, but it doesn't work. TBH I have no idea what I'm doing as far as queries are concerned.

*edit*
Figured it out. Sweet now it only shows shouts from your friends. Wasn't as hard as I thought either, lol.

Um so if it only shows shouts of your friends and only shows the tab to the owner. I guess this means it's done, lol.

I need to make the XML file and I'll have a beta up for people to try.

I need help with deleting old entries using the query. See original post for the query.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2008/09/24 19:30

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon