Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Avatar Gallery (was Avatar Matrix) beta released

• micoots
  • micoots
18 years 1 month ago #20524 by micoots
Hi Raj,

Raj wrote:

That's weird. I'm showing the dates as 9/6, today. I downloaded the file and looked inside, and it has the correctsion. Try clearing your browser cache.

www.visionsimulations.com/AvatarMatrix4.zip

Raj

Yeah it was my proxy cache. I disabled it for the browser and got the latest file and no dramas.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm going through my monthly squash bugs period, and notice the following errors in my apache logs for avatar_matrix:

[client xx.xx.xx.xx] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: counter in /<path>/modules/mod_avatar_matrix4.php on line 121, referer: www.example.com/index.php
[client xx.xx.xx.xx] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: counter in /<path>/modules/mod_avatar_matrix4.php on line 179, referer: www.example.com/index.php
[client xx.xx.xx.xx] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: align in /<path>/modules/mod_avatar_matrix4.php on line 130, referer: www.example.com/index.php
[client xx.xx.xx.xx] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: align in /<path>/modules/mod_avatar_matrix4.php on line 130, referer: www.example.com/index.php
[client xx.xx.xx.xx] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: counter in /<path>/modules/mod_avatar_matrix4.php on line 121, referer: www.example.com/index.php
[client xx.xx.xx.xx] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: counter in /<path>/modules/mod_avatar_matrix4.php on line 179, referer: www.example.com/index.php

which occurs on each refresh of my webpage.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Raj
  • Raj
18 years 1 month ago #20525 by Raj
Hmmm...I had assumed that variables did not need to be explicitly declared at the beginning of the code. And apparently, they don't, but on some web servers this causes an annoying notice to be generated.

I put in some code to initialize the align and counter variables and uploaded the fix. Just upload the new avatarmatrix4.php and copy over the old one. Let me know.

Raj

• micoots
  • micoots
18 years 1 month ago #20526 by micoots
Hi Raj,

Raj wrote:

Hmmm...I had assumed that variables did not need to be explicitly declared at the beginning of the code. And apparently, they don't, but on some web servers this causes an annoying notice to be generated.

I put in some code to initialize the align and counter variables and uploaded the fix. Just upload the new avatarmatrix4.php and copy over the old one. Let me know.

Raj

Thanks, problem has gone away :)

Most people to "show" the php errors in the apache logs, I think the joomla team even recommend turning them off. I personally don't agree, some problems unfortunately youhave to live with (they're too hard to trace) but most are easy to fix (like the initialisation of counter and align now) so it's better to just know about issues and fix them than actually not know about them effectively ignoring them.

Thankyou.

Michael.

• Raj
  • Raj
18 years 1 month ago #20527 by Raj
I agree with you. Glad it worked. Thanks for letting me know about the notices.

Raj

• micoots
  • micoots
18 years 1 month ago #20795 by micoots
Hi Raj,

In my template, I display this in a module position which spans and contracts on a screen width. During this, the avatar matrix module sits on the right side position.

I've been trying to centre it but have been unsuccessful.

Do you have any ideas how I could centre it within my module position?

My template is variable width.

Michael.

• Raj
  • Raj
18 years 1 month ago #20797 by Raj
In general, styling questions are tough questions because there are so many things that come into play with CSS.

I think I would try adding text-align:center to the CSS of that module position. That's telling the module to center everything it contains. Sometimes this seems to work, and sometimes not.

If not, then I might try setting the table width to 100%, and setting the width of each TD table cell to some percentage, depending on how many avatars you have displayed. For example, if you're displaying 10 avatars, then set each TD table cell width to be 10%, if 6 avatars, then 16%, so that it totals 100 percents.

If that doesn't work, then I might try displaying say 11 or 12 avatars, setting the width of TD cell to some fixed value like 100px, and setting the table to overflow:hidden. Basically, you're telling the avatar module to create more avatars than what can possibly be displayed, but hide those that can't be displayed. Centering becomes a nonissue here, because it always fills up the module width, but doesn't break your template.

I'd be curious what you finally work out.

Raj

Moderators: beatnantkrileon