Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Paid Subscriptions plugin update discussion

• schelly
  • schelly
17 years 6 months ago #34678 by schelly
Hi Rob,

I don't know for sure what Beat has up his sleeve for ACL, but right now I'm using JACL for custom permissions, which is an open source solution that's working okay for me.

User Reviews for the extension are mixed because it's a hack of core files, and must be maintained as such. You can get the Joomla updates from the JACL Home Page however, and that saves some headaches and hassles.

I need the ACL flexibility on one of my sites, so I deal with the inconvenience of having to maintain hacked files. It would be nice if CB could handle ACL customization and seems the logical choice, since CB is something of a user shell... but how much can a person ask of CB?

Now watch -- Beat will go and shock me and have all that coded in. LOL!

:side:

Don't waste time and gas. Study with your team online at My Study Groups . Save time and money!
The topic has been locked.
  • rpitera
  • rpitera
  • Add-ons
17 years 6 months ago #34682 by rpitera
schelly wrote:

Hi Rob,

I don't know for sure what Beat has up his sleeve for ACL, but right now I'm using JACL for custom permissions, which is an open source solution that's working okay for me.

User Reviews for the extension are mixed because it's a hack of core files, and must be maintained as such. You can get the Joomla updates from the JACL Home Page however, and that saves some headaches and hassles.

I need the ACL flexibility on one of my sites, so I deal with the inconvenience of having to maintain hacked files. It would be nice if CB could handle ACL customization and seems the logical choice, since CB is something of a user shell... but how much can a person ask of CB?

Now watch -- Beat will go and shock me and have all that coded in. LOL!

:side:

Hi Schelly,

I've looked into JACLplus, but I'm not sure that allow the level of grnaularity necessary to segregate access of CB "features' (like certain tabs or plugins) to provide a solution for differing levels of membership - at least I couldn't figure a method for doing so.

Having a bit more experience with it than I, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Please. Seriously, I'd love to be wrong on this! :lol:
  • schelly
  • schelly
17 years 6 months ago #34687 by schelly
Well now, I'm not 100% positive about that part. I can go into plugin management in CB's back end and select the group that can access a plugin, but now that you've drawn it to my attention -- I don't have any means of restricting who can see a specific tab.

You've made a good point.

I don't know what form of ACL improvements we will see in Joomla 1.5 but I don't want to wait until all the extension authors catch up to that version to be able to configure fairly granular permissions. It was the one thing MD5 and the Nuke family did well and I must say, it's the only thing about those CMS's that I miss.

Let's wait for Beat to shed some light on the topic, shall we?

:)

Don't waste time and gas. Study with your team online at My Study Groups . Save time and money!
  • robertem
  • robertem
17 years 6 months ago #34688 by robertem
Hi Schelly,
I was looking into JACL as an option but am weary about the core hacks it implements.
Basically, I've been working on a project for some time and the client shifted gears at the last minute and now requires 3 levels of access for user galleries (higher level gets a higher quota). There is more to the higher membership but, for the most part, it would be handled off line.
I had considered hacking the hardcoded ACL stuff myself as that would allow me to maintain control, but that seems extreme.
I really do hope a solution is avalilable as I would hate to have to start from scratch.

Thanks for the advice,
Rob
  • robertem
  • robertem
17 years 6 months ago #34689 by robertem
FYI, after doing some research it appears ACL is not on the roadmap until 1.6 at the earliest.
  • robertem
  • robertem
17 years 6 months ago #34691 by robertem
rpitera,
Looks like you and I are trying to accomplish the same thing. I'm going to continue to research my options and will let you know if I find a solution.
Moderators: beatnantkrileon