Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Profile Badge Plugin

• Switch
  • Switch
17 years 7 months ago #32270 by Switch
Profile Badge Plugin was created by Switch
To celebrate the opening of SwitchTemplate.com Switch brings your his Profile Badge Plugin. It can be found in the freebies section of www.SwitchTemplate.com

For more information on the plugin:
www.switchtemplate.com/content/view/30/

This plugin creates a profile badge consisting of a Site name, user profile image and space for two slogans.
It then generates the code to place this badge on any other site that allows html insertion, such as a myspace profile.
This not only allows your users to encourage their friends to sign up to your site, but every time the html is used you get backlinks, which everyone knows help build a site's ranking in the search engines.

Obviously, this being my first plugin it is very simple in nature, and merely generates a little bt of html for your users to paste wherever they want their badge, but hopefully in future I will be able to add additional parameters, such as the ability chose from a list of fields you might want included on the badge. If anyone wants to help, or has ideas for the plugin, please let me know. If there are any problems, I'll try my best to respond to them in this thread, but I am not an expert on CB knowing much less than other here about php etc, but I'll try my best :)

If you have any feedback, comments, criticisms etc, please post them in this thread as I do not yet a support forum on my site.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the plugin :)

Post edited by: Switch, at: 2007/03/01 17:07

Post edited by: Switch, at: 2007/03/02 20:14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DavidF
  • DavidF
17 years 7 months ago #32292 by DavidF
Replied by DavidF on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
tried it, but it didn't work on my side. i published it but it didn't show up at all (tried different positions, reinstall, clearing caches etc.)

• mercutio
  • mercutio
17 years 7 months ago #32306 by mercutio
Replied by mercutio on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
Hi folks,

Grabbed this plugin because it seemed like a great idea, but there were some issues with the coding. Not a coder myself, but knew enough to hack it into functionality, and thought I'd post a working modded version - wanted to contribute back a bit. This hasn't been really tested except on my site - www.wildpoets.com - so use at your own risk.

Things changed:

1) Badge now appears in Display of Profile, not Edit Profile.
2) Badge correctly links to the user's profile, not to default Community Builder profile as was case before.
3) Minor formatting changes to make it fit with my site (changed header color). Slogan 2 appears in italics.

Note to Switch - great idea on the plugin - just needed a bit more work. I left the xml file the way it was (don't really need the credits), but you may want to update versions etc. And thanks for the plugin!

-M

Attachment plug_profilebadge_mod.zip not found

<i>Wild Poets is a collaborative community of creative souls - wildpoets.com

We welcome new contributors, and are looking to publish the best of independent poetry, literature, art, music, and video. Membership is free.
Attachments:

• mercutio
  • mercutio
17 years 7 months ago #32308 by mercutio
Replied by mercutio on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
Hmm - don't know if this would cause a problem, but you may want to rename the plugin back to plug_profilebadge.zip before you install, and, important note, you'll need to replace all instances of wildpoets.com with your site's root in the badge.php file.

Questions for anyone who knows - is there anyway we could mod the parameters so that it would simply set the site to the Joomla root? T'would also be a neat trick to add sizing control and article display (ie, through the Joomla Content Author plugin)... That plus an RSS feed running through the articles could be a powerful tool for independent publishers. Anyone out there think it's possible?

<i>Wild Poets is a collaborative community of creative souls - wildpoets.com

We welcome new contributors, and are looking to publish the best of independent poetry, literature, art, music, and video. Membership is free.

• DavidF
  • DavidF
17 years 7 months ago #32313 by DavidF
we could insert mosLiveSite before the CB path, that should do it. I will try that later.

David

btw.: It showed up in the edit profile? now i know why i thoug it didnt work;)

ok i tried it, that should work, now the skript takes the mosConfig_live_site and you do not need the code change anymore...

Attachment plug_profilebadge_mod-9d15158fdd08081d613d706486d98485.zip not found

Post edited by: DavidF, at: 2007/03/02 07:21
Attachments:

• DavidF
  • DavidF
17 years 7 months ago #32314 by DavidF
okay new problem: the code to copy has nearly 1000 signs, normally only 250 - 300 signs are allowed in a signature (especially in forums etc.) - is there a way to shorten the code?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon