Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Profile Badge Plugin

• spaecman
  • spaecman
17 years 4 months ago #39085 by spaecman
Replied by spaecman on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
Hello developper(s) and users.

I have installed the plugin. It worked fine, but not as I expected it would, and I have other otpions to suggest, due to a different philosophy.

I will say what i think as i think it, no bad intention inteneted :-)

1 - inclusion in other forums signature: ok, this could mean a total rewrite, but this would be much better for the users (who can use it more) : i am musician, part of a network of forums, but a very small community. no musician have a homepage, only a slight minority have a myspace account.

2 - I don't want to promote my site: I want users to promote themselves: so it makes the whole layout of the badge not useful (that's where i talk about a different philosophy).
- not useful because:
- my users cannot put their own slogan (so they will see that as wasted space)
- my users will never use something that promote someone's website (mine in this instance, and i agree with them, it's not a "you-tube-on-my-space" community. adds are banned from our network (they can use other networks to use adds).

You see what I mean ? i think the idea is great but may be it could be improved a bit.

In fact, what i was looking for, is a simple elegant way for users to put a link to their profil, something slim that can fit elegantly in forums threads (especially, for those who speak a lot in same theread: imagine seeing the same big badge over and over again? not very digest :-)

Another idea :

-- the signature would look like a simple - small -"view my profile" GIF (or jpg or whatever, so admins can change it into "listen my music" or "watch my movies" or "read my books" or whatever you like)
--- this image file is linked to that user's profile: simple, unintrusive, unoffending, no brainer...

The ability to add slogan per user is not necessary, they can include it in their forum's signature (so it can be different on different forums if they like).

What do you think ?

I think it drifts into a different plugin, but could be fantastic to build a community with a certain spirit.

it could could be called: cb_On_Forum_signature plugin ;-)
Many thanks for listening and eternal respect for he who do something like that :-)

Mehdi

Post edited by: spaecman, at: 2007/06/07 14:46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fungkur
  • fungkur
17 years 3 months ago #40365 by fungkur
Replied by fungkur on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
great plugin !!! now im trying do make different type of badges for my users..

Post edited by: fungkur, at: 2007/07/02 03:52

spit it out!
Attachments:

• filterit
  • filterit
17 years 3 months ago #41154 by filterit
Replied by filterit on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
Trying to do the same

Attachments:

• Swiftly
  • Swiftly
17 years 1 month ago #44537 by Swiftly
Replied by Swiftly on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
I didnt read all the posts,... so maybe this has been discussed before,... but I ask it anyway:

Are you working on an J!1.5 compatible Badge Plugin?

Jack

Owner of Tradingmate.com
www.tradingmate.com

• Switch
  • Switch
17 years 1 month ago #45712 by Switch
Replied by Switch on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
Sorry I haven't had the time to reply to the questions, or any where near the time to wrok more on this plugim, I have been swamped with university work and this is the first time in months that I've actually worked on a joomla! site.

Firstly I don't have any current plans to make a joomla 1.5 version, as I would need access to code for a CB compatible with 1.5 and I don't think it's quite there yet is it?

Regarding people asking for minor changes. I think the best bet would be for you in the long run if you had a look at the code and tried to make the changes yourself rather than me have to release a new version for each little variation that each person wants. The code is very easy to modify without advanced knowledge, and is fairly intuitive, it would be a great chance to pick up a bit of knowledge as to how CB plugins work. It would also benifit me as I don't have time to make the sort of changes you want, with each person wanting a tailored version with requirements specific to the site. I currently study at university and have a freelancing job to pay the HUGE bills, and what with me not actually using the plugin myself I can't afford to spare the time I would want to on it.

For example, if you want a bb code version for forums then simply modify the output contained in the <text area> tags, including something like:

[code:1]$return .= "Visit " . $user->name . "";[/code:1] *I haven't tested this as I currently do not admin any sites using CB

16 years 11 months ago #48820 by
Replied by on topic Re:Profile Badge Plugin
I may be having a dumb moment, so feel free to put me right.

This works well for the preset avatars supplied with CB, however if a user uploads their own picture it does not resize it correctly. In my case the slogans disappear behind the picture and the picture itself over runs the edge of the predefined box.

I copied the output / embed code into myspace and tried to play around with the dimensions but whatever I do it does not resize the uploaded picture.

Also (and I'm not sure if this is related) I was having troubles with the avatar not showing up in either my profile or on the posted site. It was referencing an images/comprofilfer/tn directory, which does not exist on my site. I removed the /tn reference and the images appeared.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

I am using joomla 1.0.13, CB1.1 and plugin1.1

Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon