Skip to Content Skip to Menu

XSPF Profile Player

• pointri
  • pointri
18 years 7 months ago #6924 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Yep...
I've been blogging about it lately. It's just about ready to be tested, and I'll make a call for volunteers and feedback once CB 1.0 Stable is available. I know I have one in alistair, who dug up the XSPF player in the first place and has waited patiently for it.

The reason why I'm waiting for 1.0 Stable is for the same reason as Nick's profile gallery and JoomlaJoe's guestbook. 1.0 Stable will allow plugins to create select fields with options on installation. That'll make it easier to toggle the tab on and off per user, and drop-down fields like "music genre" can be added to the profile tab.

It'll also use a stand-alone FTP uploader for those larger mp3 files for the time being. Joomla 1.1 will have its own FTP class, so a final version of this plugin will probably use that instead.

What's probably best about this player is that, if you're adept with Flash design, you could conceivably customize its look however you want.

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foxal
  • foxal
18 years 7 months ago #6934 by foxal
Replied by foxal on topic Re:Yep...
excellent!!! so, we are waiting

• nuMarc
  • nuMarc
18 years 7 months ago #6993 by nuMarc
Replied by nuMarc on topic Re:Yep...
Pointri, absolutely great news :woohoo:

Thank you in advance for this plugin...

Karma increase :)

Not enough cash for a sig :-(

18 years 7 months ago #7803 by
Replied by on topic Re:Yep...
You have a volunteers here! can't wait...

• pointri
  • pointri
18 years 7 months ago #7815 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Woop...Road Fork!
Could use some input on this one, and it may be out of scope for a beta version on this plugin, but does anyone else here use Webjay or Last.fm/Audioscrobbler to build (personal) playlists on a regular basis?

Looks like there are varying degrees of support for XSPF in both, which makes me think that some users might be keen on also having the option to point to an external XSPF file somewhere to stream their tracks to the profile player.

I should emphasize that this would be another option and not a replacement for an uploader, but it'd definitely save bandwidth/hard disk space for hosts if playlists are floating out there. Any thoughts on this?

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

• spikec
  • spikec
18 years 7 months ago #7827 by spikec
Replied by spikec on topic Re:Woop...Road Fork!
I have been using webjay for a couple of months on my site, in the iPod nano player I bought from www.xe-media.ch . While it's pretty simple to use, it's not all that convenient. In spite of my many invitations to my members to build and submit a webjay playlist, I have yet to have a taker - most find it too tedious. Too bad, because as much as I'd like to put streaming mp3's on my site, I don't feel like defending myself in court against the RIAA.

XSPF playlists get you off the hook with that, but someone out there is hosting the song file and leaving themselves open to copyright infringement. With webjay, many of the links you put on a playlist become broken very quickly, I'm guessing for this very reason. So, on a webjay playlist of say 30 songs, on average less than half work.

FWIW, I looked into licensing for hosting streaming music, and it's a)too expensive and b) a major league PITA as you have to get agreements with the both the individual artists and the recording company. By the letter of the law, a simple site like mine would be considered a "webcasting" site even if all I wanted to do is let my members listen to a few tunes while browsing...

Sadly, I've found that allowing members to put "myspace"-type music and video codes into their profile via a creative tab is the safest way to get this kind of stuff on my site.

Post edited by: spikec, at: 2006/03/07 07:13

Moderators: beatnantkrileon