Skip to Content Skip to Menu

XSPF Profile Player

• pointri
  • pointri
18 years 7 months ago #7859 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:Woop...Road Fork!
spikec wrote:

as much as I'd like to put streaming mp3's on my site, I don't feel like defending myself in court against the RIAA.

The legal environment leads me to believe that a moderation/approval feature for uploads now rather than later would be a safe route. I'll look into a way admins can approve individual tracks, thereby keeping all the RIAA/ASCAP member artists/licensors/distributors off their site.

With webjay, many of the links you put on a playlist become broken very quickly, I'm guessing for this very reason. So, on a webjay playlist of say 30 songs, on average less than half work.

I figured that reading external playlists would be a little shaky, but I haven't really played around with Webjay. Last.fm has their tracks in line, but I believe that individual artists and labels opt into that service.

FWIW, I looked into licensing for hosting streaming music, and it's a)too expensive and b) a major league PITA as you have to get agreements with the both the individual artists and the recording company.

Yep, like the majority, I love the idea of being punished to propagate and promote new music more efficiently than the distributors that own the artists. :angry:

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spikec
  • spikec
18 years 7 months ago #7874 by spikec
Replied by spikec on topic Re:Woop...Road Fork!
I haven't messed with Last.fm, but after checking it out, I'm not impressed. Too invasive and not easy to figure out --I've got a site that caters to young teens with an attention span of about 2 secs. That's why your embedded CB player will kick ass. The tough part is finding an easy way for users to build reliable playlists. I'll keep searching and let you know if I find anything.

If I were younger and had more testosterone (and a lot less to lose), I'd set up an offshore server and stream mp3's worldwide just to spite the RIAA bastards. Kind of like the old "Pirate radio" days. ;)

Post edited by: spikec, at: 2006/03/07 23:16

• pointri
  • pointri
18 years 7 months ago #7885 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:Woop...Road Fork!
I searched through the forums, the plugin API and the code that handles the moderation workflow. The core has a couple methods in there for moderation of user registrations and profile images, but it's not abstracted (yet) to the point where a CB plugin could direct objects it handles to an admin's 'moderation stack.'

It was mentioned in one thread that getting moderation to work with other objects, like news items, mp3, etc. would be a feature request. Either that or make modertation self-contained...somehow...:S

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

• dardo36
  • dardo36
18 years 7 months ago #8681 by dardo36
Replied by dardo36 on topic Re:Woop...Road Fork!
ohh i should've read this forum before..very nice plugin i cant wait to try it

• Boom
  • Boom
18 years 6 months ago #8875 by Boom
Replied by Boom on topic Re:Woop...Road Fork!
couldnt you set a pop uo for the moderation of the personal playlist file that then loads it onto the profile of the person using it to avoid a conflict inside of joomla.

What im wondering is how your gonna do that and not kill your self on storage. The files are gonna have to stream from somewhere.

An alternative idea for this would be to have like a community site that used unsigned artists. so they could promote what they have and then let the users post those playlists. in a manner that you could actually link to the ones you want. for example a radio list that would let you choose the artists and the songs fromt hat artist and then you would be able to add whatever you wanted as well as being able to remove them from your list.

perhaps im mnot getting the idea here but i think adding your lists of songs might get a bit mega-storage killer in size in just a moment or two. i have a playlist with 1500 songs on it if i tried to do that it would kill your site in a matter of seconds. i have a 2MB upload here with a 15mb downstream and i can really push some files. I would hate to ahve this on a site and have someone not understanding of bandwidtha nd storage what this kind of thing means. I think a better idea to add the element of personality to the thing woudl eb to do like Myspace and let people add videws to the site in that manner. I mean myspace has a ass pile of resource and your limited to four uploads if you have an artist account.

i drank an energy drink and my adrenaline is on 175% so my fingers may be tyoing some jibberish here and there but im sure you gusy get what im getting at. I mean it wouldnt be hard to add an area to make the profiles really whip ass and include things like music videos and songs from certain artist but i think if your gonna upload your mp3's on there your gonna kill your site. Perhaps theres a way to upload your files to another server for storage and let people add their music to that and then stream offsite to that via amfphp or somethign along those lines.

so am I on the right track here with what your workign on or am i totally off the stick and in someone elses yard talking about something different?

• Boom
  • Boom
18 years 6 months ago #8877 by Boom
Replied by Boom on topic Re:Woop...Road Fork!
i am asking this (above post) because i would like to help make something like this and can be valuable in the flash department and maybe evena bit int he overall customization of the thing. So any input that woudl steer me int he right direction can probably get some headway made on this bad boy from my end. I love to help when and if i can.

Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon