Skip to Content Skip to Menu

phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available

• custmguru
  • custmguru
18 years 6 months ago #9150 by custmguru
Replied by custmguru on topic Re:phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available
Now that you mention it, I was having problems with special characters. i had numerous users with a " ' " in their name like "Nates '93".

It would process all the users until it got to a name with that character and then it would throw up an error. I removed all " ' " in the usernames and thats when I started having problems... I never made that connection until now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RSM
  • RSM
18 years 6 months ago #9245 by RSM
Geefland,

what would the desired result be?

INMHO it should remain as it is - the avatar stays within phpBB and the user photo stays within the CB profile.

• dsendecki
  • dsendecki
18 years 6 months ago #9255 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available
I would like them to be one in the same, instead! :P

• pkninja
  • pkninja
18 years 6 months ago #9304 by pkninja
Replied by pkninja on topic Re:phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available
RSM wrote:

INMHO it should remain as it is - the avatar stays within phpBB and the user photo stays within the CB profile.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who wants to have it that way. ^-^

Unfortunately, with the accounts on my site (currently running Joomla 1.0.7 and phpBB 2.0.19, I believe), the photo still replaces any phpBB avatar that's set. Any user without a photo gets stuck without an avatar. For the moment, my solution is to instead add a profile field for users to use in linking to a photo and use the profile image for an avatar, but I'd still like to be able to have a separate profile image show up and not interfere with the avatar.

Oh, and is there any way to have the user's profile image be linked from offsite? I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary, but it might be nice.

Post edited by: pkninja, at: 2006/03/30 01:18

• kinne
  • kinne
18 years 6 months ago #9325 by kinne
I have the same SQL error:

[code:1]SQL errorDB function failed with error number 1146
Table '<snip>.phpbb_users' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT count( * ) as total_record FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_active = '1'
SQL =
SELECT count( * ) as total_record FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_active = '1'[/code:1]

I'm testing on the production server since my forum is still is still in test phase and unused. phpBB has been installed using Fantastico and it is indeed running in a separate database. I believe that this is the case on many servers and I also believe that it is fine to have separate databases. So maybe that the plug-in itself should either detect this or have a tool to control the connection between the plug-in's control panel and the database.

• kinne
  • kinne
18 years 6 months ago #9327 by kinne
geeffland wrote:

1) Current based on DOCUMENT_ROOT (relative to root of website)
2) Based on Joomla (relative to Joomla's install directory)
3) Full directory location (based on server)
Greg

Greg,
I believe that many setups will have a separate database for joomla and phpBB and I also believe that this is a healthy option.
So your plug-in should really handle this situation:
  • add a checkbox labelled something like "phpBB is installed in separate DB"
  • if this is checked (true), enable a simple text field that would provide the name of the database
If this is documented in the plug-in, it should be no problem.
With these information, I guess that your php script would be able to build a valid connection relative to the Joomla database (not the Joomla installation folder).

Moderators: beatnantkrileon