Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Not showing in Joomla Component Menu After Inst

• nant
  • nant
13 years 6 months ago #161209 by nant
@all: please check the following - do not trust what you see in any php.ini file:

Joomla 1.5 users: Help -> System Info -> PHP Information

Joomla 1.6 users: Site -> System Information -> PHP Information

and check what value the upload_max_filesize says.

Then ask your hosting helpdesk to help you modify if this is not at least 4M.
The topic has been locked.
  • hhinman
  • hhinman
13 years 6 months ago #161251 by hhinman
Nick,
I used the attached PHP5.INI filethat someone posted in another forum specifically for poeple having problems with Windows and Goaddy hosting. I placed this in both the Web Server root and the Joomla root folders. I checked system settings in Joomla and the parms such as the one you mentioned we being picked up fine. I still had the above dewscribed problems.

As of today, I called Godaddy and had them delete the hosted site given all of the wasted time and difficultly finding assistance on this. I've set Joomla up with no issues 3 times on Godaddy hosted servers - 2 running Windows and 1 running Linux. I had the identical problems described above trying to set up the Community Builder add-on after getting Joomla running. Comments found on the internet seem to make me feel that Godaddy Hosting + Joomla + Community Builder is not a workable situation. Godaddy support will help with Joomla, but state they are not responsible for PHP tweaking and/or assisting with Community Builder installation. Community Builder Setup appears to be very fragile and error mesages give little detailed information when problems occur. A search for help on internet seems to show others having similar issues and many guessing at what the problem might be. Posting for help in Community Builder Forums took days for an initial response and still i not solving the issue.

On a slighly more positive side, Last night, I put up a Windows 2008 R2 Server with IIS, figured out how to install PHP, install Joomla pretty easiy, and then wrestled for a few hours with Community Builder setup errors before finally (apparently) getting it installed successfully. I had a number of issues with Community Builder install related to IIS issues - mostly to do with being required to turn on FTP support in Joomla and then lots of issues related to permissions (e.g. "unable to create directorty" and "unable to copy file", etc. I finally had to just set permisions for all users to have full control on all directories in the web root and child directories before I could get the CB setup to work. Then I changed it back to prior settings and am holding my breath that bizarre issues will not occur once I actually try to use CB. CB needs a more thoughtful and sophisticated setup process in my humble opinion....

Thanks
  • hhinman
  • hhinman
13 years 6 months ago #161252 by hhinman
Followup - I attached the PHP5.INI file (twice no less after I did not see it added) and just tried again and the selection process lets me select it and closes without any error but the file does not appear as an attachment. Another bug in CB - or am I not allowed to post files as a free user? Anyway, here are comments from the file as to what was changed:

; - things I changed -
;max_execution_time = 1600
;max_input_time = 1600
;post_max_size = 128M
;upload_max_filesize = 128M
;memory_limit = 32M
;
;extension_dir = "c:\php5\ext" ;; must change ;;
;include_path = ".;C:\php5\pear" ;; must change ;;
;error_log = syslog
;magic_quotes_gpc = Off
;output_buffering = 4096
;register_argc_argv = Off
;
;SMTP = relay-hosting.secureserver.net ;; should change ;;
;sendmail_from = webmaster@secureserver.net ;; should change ;;
;upload_tmp_dir = D:\Temp\php ;; must change? ;;
;variables_order = "GPCS"
;
;;;;; THESE ARE THE MAIN IIS ONES ;;;;;;
;cgi.force_redirect = 0 ;; MUST change ;;
;fastcgi.impersonate = 1 ;; MUST change ;;
;
;;;;; and enable these modules ;;;;;;
;; php_mysql.dll is very important (at least for me)
;; not sure about the others.
;extension=php_curl.dll
;extension=php_gd2.dll
;extension=php_gettext.dll
;extension=php_mbstring.dll
;extension=php_mcrypt.dll
;extension=php_mhash.dll
;extension=php_mssql.dll
;extension=php_mysql.dll ;; very important ;;
;extension=php_mysqli.dll
;extension=php_openssl.dll
;extension=php_pdo.dll
;extension=php_soap.dll
;extension=php_xsl.dll
;extension=php_zip.dll
;
;;;;; ok, that worked, but i'll change these ;;;;;
;;;;; just to match what godaddy has ;;;;;
;session.gc_divisor = 1000
;session.hash_bits_per_character = 5
;session.save_path = "D:\TEMP\PHP"
  • hhinman
  • hhinman
13 years 6 months ago #161253 by hhinman
One more comment, it appears that an error message was put out when I tried to attach the PHP5.INI file, but it was displayed at the top of the screen and the page did not scroll back to the top so it was not seen until I happened to scroll up manually to examine the overall discussion:

Failed to upload file 'php5.ini': You need to use an allowed file extension (for images: jpg, jpeg, gif, png and other files: zip, txt, doc, gz, tgz, pdf).

I would view this as another quirk, by the way (with all due respect). If an error occurs and you put out a message, you should ensure the message error message is in view....

Also, I zipped the file and tried to attach it. It is not showing up as being attached and no error message as I scroll back to the top, so no idea if when I submit this post, there will be a file attachment - yet another quirk...
Attachments:
  • nant
  • nant
13 years 6 months ago #161267 by nant

hhinman wrote: CB needs a more thoughtful and sophisticated setup process in my humble opinion....

Thanks

Well, we cannot debug issues on all budget hosting environments.

Please PM me backend super admin access of your Joomla website and I will take a quick look.
  • hhinman
  • hhinman
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #161298 by hhinman
I appreciate your offer and would have been happy to grant you Administrator access for debugging the issue, but as I stated earlier I gave up and actually canceled my Godaddy Hosting of that site given the lack of response and inability to find a solution on the internet. The cancellation notice arrived today:

This notice is to inform you that the items listed below have been deleted from your xxxxxx account:

Hosting - Web - Economy - Windows - 1 year (recurring): xxxxxxx.com Purchased on original receipt: xxxxxxxxx

If you feel this action has occurred in error or you need further assistance, our support staff is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

• Online Support
• Email: support@godaddy.com
• Phone: (480) 505-8877

Please do not reply to this email. Emails sent to this address will not be answered.

Thanks again for being a GoDaddy.com, Inc. customer.

Sincerely,
GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by hhinman.
Moderators: beatnantkrileon